Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Advent!

We're preparing our hearts and home for celebrating Jesus' birth. This morning we put up our Christmas tree and put out most of our holiday decorations. It was such a joy seeing the two little ones experience it for the first time!

Jock was under there fixing one of the limbs... I had to run to get the camera - so cute them "helping fix it" too.
I got each child a new ornament this year. This was a tradition in my family growing up, that everyone gets a new ornament each year. This year, I ordered special ones from Bronner's. Elijah's is Blue, and Josephine's and Kaylen's are pink, and they say "Adopted with Love". Each has a heart with their name and a heart with the year of their adoption on it - 2006 and 2010.More Ornaments!All Done! (Well sort of - I did some re-arranging of the ornaments after this, to spread out the ones that were 3 to a branch down below, and to fill in the empty spaces up top. :)Trying on the Santa Hat...

We waited until this evening to set out our nativity scene. I read parts of the Christmas story from one of our Children's Bible story books, and we got each character out as we read it. It made it really fun! Then we put all the people and animals up by our stable on top of our entertainment center. I really like our nativity set - it's a Fontanini, and made of a break-resistant material, so we don't have to worry about the kids helping set it up. So fun!

4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Looks like fun. We don't have our tree up yet.

Anonymous said...

Laura put up our tree before going back to Duluth. She managed to snag a few items too. "You don't need ALL those lights do you?" "Why no Laura, go ahead and take them with you for your tree" Then had to have a history lesson on why some of the ugly ornaments still deserve a place on the tree. Who they were from and why given. We even found some painted wood ones frrom your mom from way back when Vince and I were first married. (They were not the ugly ones previously noted) Kathie

Anonymous said...

I admire the attention you give to teaching the children about
Christmas and your family traditions. Looks like you had a wonderful day. gma terry

kayder1996 said...

We do the ornament thing too. We try to find one that has something to do with an event that happened in the year. Conleigh has a "thank heaven for little girls' for her first Christmas, a princess tiara for last year when she was dubbed Princess Conleigh at the orphanage, and a snowman for this year with a spot for a picture of her homecoming. Kenson has a baby' first christmas one, a scuba diving Santa for one of the years he spent in Haiti during Christmas, one that says rejoice for his homecoming, and a tricycle for the year he learned to ride his bike. This years is an angel that says something about sisters to commemorate Conleigh's homecoming. We haven't figured out yet how we're going to do this tradition. I'm kind of thinking I'd like to wrap it up in a special box and have it be a gift to open before Christmas but I'm not sure exactly.