Kaylen and Josephine are both taking dance lessons at a studio. I thought I had a photo of the girls in their leotards, but I can't find it now. I'll have to try to get another one and post it later.
Kaylen has wanted to do this for quite some time, but I wasn’t ready to let her participate in more than one extra-curricular activity quite yet. This year I thought she could handle it, so I signed her up. The first few weeks, she was very nervous. Most of the girls in her class have been taking dance lessons since they were preschoolers, they all seem to know each other, and most of them are also taking a hip-hop class that is just prior to their ballet-tap-jazz class. So Kaylen had a hard time making friends, and was nervous about having to attempt the techniques in front of the whole class when she didn’t quite know how to do them. She’s made at least one friends,who is also new and not in the hip-hop class, and she is figuring out how to do some of the dance techniques, so she’s starting to enjoy it more.
I asked Josephine whether she wanted to dance or play soccer this fall. She chose dance, and loves it. Although, when Elijah got to go to soccer and she didn’t, she was a little disappointed. (For the record, Elijah has not at all expressed disappointment at not being able to go to dance with the girls.) Josephine doesn’t always want to show us what she learned in dance, but she is always asking if she’s, “going to dance today?” She always goes in and comes out of dance with a smile on her face, so I know she’s enjoying it.
I can’t wait until parent-watch week! :)
1 comment:
Our dance rooms have huge windows so we can watch anytime but I know one of the other studios doesn't let parents watch very often.
Our girls can get cliqueish too. There are three classes back to back most of the 5th graders take but we're only in two. Thankfully Jasmine has been at the studio several years so it doesn't bother here.
Post a Comment