Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fishing Trip

Jock decided at some point this week that he was going to take the kids fishing. He's been talking about it for a while, but he went and got a couple kids' fishing poles, another full-size pole, and a fishing license this week, and he was ready!

There was no way he could have taken James while helping the other three learn how to fish, and I knew that James wouldn't have been happy being left at home with me. Fishing isn't really my thing, but I went to help with James and take photos - no baiting the hooks!  It ended up being more fun than I thought. If the venti chai is involved again, I could easily be persuaded to go again! ;)

It also happened to be a beautiful morning to take photos. Bright and sunny, but we were in a nicely shaded location along the riverbank.
Donuts, OJ, and venti chai before we got started
 
Just climbing down the rocks to the river's edge was quite the feat -- and it helped James stay put too - actually worked quite well, despite my anxiety at the beginning about the current being strong and the bank being too steep.
Jock caught a fish right off-the-bat, while he was demonstrating fishing techniques for Elijah.
Checking the reference to see what kind of fish it was - a large-mouth bass.
Jock showed Elijah how to cast and reel it in first.  Then he moved a little ways off to the side.  He lost his bait several times trying to cast too hard, but was very quiet and patient, taking in all the instructions, and really just enjoying watching the water and trying hard, over and over, until he was doing VERY well!  He never once complained about not catching any fish or it being boring!  I tapped on Jock's shoulder, whispered to him, pointing to Elijah, "There's your new fishing partner!"  :)
Kaylen casting.  She did very well towards the end, but she got quite impatient a couple times,
and frustrated that we weren't catching anything while people around us were.  :(
Josephine didn't quite get how it was all supposed to work, but she did pretty well for her first time out.
She was fairly patient, but could tell she was nervous and not quite understanding how to cast and reel in.
None of the kids caught anything, but with a little practice, this one'll be a pro in no time!
 

Such a ham this morning!  Me taking photos of him kept him occupied this morning!
I was afraid he'd be really bored and get cranky, but he did a great job.
We didn't even make it down to the playground!
 
I wasn't even fishing, and I caught a good one!  ;)


And then he was done!  Back up the rocks to take a walk!
She'd hit a wall of boredom and frustration, but after this, she just sat down and kept at it, and apparently did better then.
 
Elijah still going, Josephine still sitting by Dad for frequent help casting.
James learned about blowing dandelion seeds today.
He picked a yellow one, but I reached down and picked up a white one and showed him how.
After he figured it out, he must have blown out at least 50 more. So cute!
I always find the spillway to be terrifying to be up so close to it.  He didn't really think anything of it.
Waiting for the others to finish up.
This was a white bass that Jock caught.
Elijah was intrigued, but kind of disgusted as well.  Jock grilled up a few pieces, and they all tried it for lunch.
Unfortunately (maybe?), James and I had already eaten lunch so he could have a nap before the tee-ball games.
They said it was good, but I also heard lots of uncertainty over us killing and eating such a poor helpless fish.  Hmmmm...
 

1 comment: