Just thought I'd throw this out there. We're wondering if anyone wants to donate baby formula for the orphanage in Haiti. It must be powdered, but can be any variety, any brand or off-brand. They can use any of that. We can take nearly 100 pounds of it. We have two rubbermaid tubs we can fill. To pack more in, we open the containers, dump them into a ziploc bag, then put that ziploc bag and the label from the can into another ziploc and write on it the expiration date. It works pretty well.
We can't fill a tub full of formula or it'll be too heavy for the airline luggage limits, so we'll pack some cloth diapers (& pins) around them - they're lightweight, and the orphanage can use them as well. If you have any of these, we could take them as well, although the formula would be more of a need. I think I've already got some cloth diapers stored away that I can take.
We also are in need of some cute 2-3T boys & 18-24mos girls summer clothes. These are what we'll use to have them wear when they stay with us at the hotel part of the time we're there. Please do not donate clothes you expect back though. We'll likely leave most of them there for the kids to use. We just got new measurements of our kiddos, and the clothes I took back in July will NOT fit. Well, a few of his might, but hers will definitely not. I'm not sure their measurements were very accurate (as if they grew 4 and 7 inches in 6 months), but here's the comparison from their September comparisons to now:
Elijah:
Sep '08 (25 months): 30", 25 lbs
Feb '09 (30 months): 34", 29.5 lbs
Josephine:
Sep '08 (16 months): 27", 18 lbs
Feb '09 (21 months): 34.25", 21 lbs
If you have any donations, just let me know - leave a comment here with your email address, email me or Facebook me.
**Update 2/10: I think I'm good for clothes for Josephine now. I found some cute ones on Craigslist that weren't outrageously priced, and a friend found some too. :). Still working on clothes for Elijah.
5 comments:
Wow! The kids really have grown! I can't wait to see them again!
How nice that you have had measurements like that. I have had trouble figuring out what the baggage limitations are for the airline. I called them and they were not very helpful.
Dawn - are you flying American the whole way on a single itinerary? I know someone who might have trouble because they booked their MIA-PAP leg separate from their leg home to MIA. Luggage restrictions are different if you're traveling within the US than from international. I'm not sure how it would work if you used two different airlines on the same itinerary.
Because MIA to PAP is international travel, you can each have 2 checked bags for free, each up to 62 linear inches (Height+Length+Width) and 50 lbs. You can also have 1 carry-on and a personal item (we use backpacks). I think the restrictions for the carryon is 40 lbs, but I'm not sure on the size. I think it's supposed to be that size total for the carryon and personal item, but I just saw that when I was booking this trip, and I've never seen that enforced.
They have all their luggage requirements spelled out quite clearly on their website at aa.com. Of course they also have certain rules for liquids, batteries (lithiums in carryon) & no aerosols, etc...
A great way to collect formula is to ask local businesses like Sam's Club, doctor's offices, etc for a donation. We have done this in the past.
Enjoy every moment with your kiddos!
~Kristi
Dawn, My family and I are at the beginning of the process of adopting 3 brothers form PAC O in Port au Prince. Just wondering what O you are adopting from. Also, I have some clothes that I would love to send for your trip. I am in upstate NY not sure where you are let me know how I can get them to you in time for your trip. Julie
Post a Comment