Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Learning

Not counting the books she reads at daycare, these are the books Kaylen has read in the past two weeks:

The Honest-to-Goodness Truth
Little Critters: Just a Piggy Bank
Amazing Grace
Twenty Heartbeats
Amelia Bedelia
Come Back Amelia Bedelia
Thank You Amelia Bedelia
Fluffy's Silly Summer
Pinky and Rex and the Bully
Whales (non-fiction)
Pumpkin Harvest (non-fiction)
Fluffy's Happy Halloween
Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower
Dick and Jane: Rainy Day Fun
No Howling in the House
Tiger Tales and Big Cat Stories (non-fiction)
Wild Cats (non-fiction)

...and we checked out 6 more books Thursday evening.

Some are from the children's area, some easy readers, and some juvelile books. A few of these were a little too easy for her, and a couple she could read but didn't understand, so I either had her read them again, or I read them with her and we talked about what certain things mean. The Amelia Bedelia's were a little like this, as was the Twenty Heartbeats. I always ask her to tell me about the books, to make sure she reads them, because sometimes I question because of how fast she reads! Sometimes she recites them back to me word-for-word. WOW! Jock and I were talking about how she's going to have a tough time in school when she is asked to "summarize" - she knows her stuff but using fewer words is not her strong point. :)

She really likes the Fluffy books - about a silly guinea pig. Thursday she was bummed because there were no Fluffy books on the shelf, but we asked at the circulation desk and she was in luck - there was one checked-in that just hadn't been re-shelved yet. You can tell from above that she loves learning weird facts about animals in nature. This week she's going to read about endangered bears. :)

She's really enjoyed the summer reading program at the library. If she reads one book per week, she writes it down, gets her paper stamped and gets a prize and her name in the drawing for more prizes at the end of the summer. Also, Dairy Queen is doing a promotion where, for every 5 books she reads, the library will stamp her paper and she gets a free treat (dilly bar at 5, small cone at 10, small sundae at 15, cheeseburger at 20, and a small blizzard at 25). She has earned the first three, and has redeemed one so far - got her dilly bar last Saturday, and we may go redeem either the cone or sundae today.

We're hoping to work a little bit on her math this summer too - I'm not all that excited about the way the school district is changing the math curriculum for next year, so we're going to supplement the learning at home too - as we probably would anyway. Maybe when t-ball is over...

We love the idea of the math program that Kathy C is working on with her daughter this summer - creative moms are awesome! Time is an issue, so we won't be able to put on that big of a project, but she likes doing workbook pages and sometimes will do flashcards - and the reward system for the added motivation. In kindergarten, she started doing simple addition and subtraction, story problems, coin values and simple addition of coins, but has lost some of that, not doing any of it for the last few weeks. We're also working a bit on telling time on a non-digital clock, and she's starting to get it a little better - if she doesn't cheat and look at the microwave, stove, or cable box. :)

6 comments:

Jodie said...

That's awesome! I hope she maintains her love of reading!

kayder1996 said...

Books you might try if you haven't already: Junie B. Jones, Horrible Harry, Little Critter by Mercer Mayor, High Rise Private Eyes, Nate the Great, and Poppleton. All of those are series books and in between 1-3 grade reading level. I used to be able to just rattle off titles but not having taught last year has done in my brain.

Katy said...

Wow...your library program sounds a lot better than ours. My nephew signed up, and I think he has to read about 10 hours of 20 min increments before he gets a prize or even a stamp. Not so motivating for a 5 year old! Kaylen is really reading a LOT of books...that is awesome.

Lisa said...

Thanks Kayla for the other ideas. I haven't heard of a couple of these, so we'll look them up too. We got her the set (1-25) of Junie B Jones books for Christmas and her birthday, and she's read all but one of them - finishing the last one today. We've read a couple Little Critters too. I'll have to look up High Rise Private Eyes, Nate the Great, Poppleton, & Horrible Harry. This week she read a book each of the Littles, and Jigsaw Jones. We also may try Magic Tree House and Magic School Bus. I looked up a bunch and made myself a list of series' online so I could find them easy by author while we're there.

Karen said...

Magic school bus and the little were some of my favorites! What about Mrs Piggle Wiggle? Not sure what reading level those are but they are fun ones :)

Lisa said...

Karen - we have the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books, but we've been reading those together - over time though. We're on the 2nd one. I'm not sure its reading level, but it does have some hard words and lots of expression in it, so I think it would be hard for her to understand on her own.

I remember you reading all the Magic School bus books - and watching the show on tv too. I don't remember you reading the Littles. I read them and love them too! It took some convincing to get her to check out the first one, but she liked it. I think because they're older books and the cover didn't look pretty. I think I'll be repeating, "You can't judge a book by it's cover" several times this summer - literally!!!