Monday, August 23, 2010

Parenting Joys

Ah, the joys of parenting... It's always something, isn't it?!?

This afternoon I got a call from Elijah's lead daycare teacher, because she usually leaves before I pick him up and she wanted to let me know about his behavior today. Oh boy! Apparently this morning and early afternoon, he'd been telling her and the other teachers "No" a lot today. At naptime he wouldn't lay down and sleep (he almost always sleeps!), and got his blanket taken away because he was playing with it. Also, sometimes when the lead teacher is on break, he runs around and away from the other teachers. He and Josephine both used to do that with me when they first came home - it became a game for me to chase them, but at times it was very uncontrollable or even a safety issue - and for a while I couldn't take them places myself because of that. They're luckily better about that now, but I digress...

So, when I picked him up, I'd planned to have a good talk with him about it. His lead teacher was still there today, so it worked out even better. I talked him about his behavior and told him that was naughty and he can't do those things, and made him apologize to the teacher and talked about what he is supposed to do...

Well... Josephine's classroom has a window where she can see out into Elijah's classroom. She apparently got really upset that she could see me but I wasn't coming to get her yet because of my long talk with Elijah and his teacher. When I got to her classroom, her teacher was holding her (she'd been crying and trying to get out of the room. She wanted me to pick her up and I did, and asked her what was wrong (although already knowing). When I asked her if she was OK and if she was sad that I didn't come in right away. She nodded in agreement, but wouldn't look me in the eyes, even when I gave her a big hug and told her I loved her multiple times.

Tonight when we got home, she and Kaylen started playing, but she did something she knew she wasn't supposed to be doing so she was in timeout - more mad at mommy! Then the girls went upstairs to play. Elijah was just moping around - because he was tired from not taking his nap at daycare. I was fixing supper, but got to a place where I was waiting for stuff to cook longer. So I sat down on the cooler in the kitchen to comfort him a bit - and he fell sound asleep on me - drool and snoring included... So precious!!!When Jock got home, he finished fixing supper. I moved to a chair (Elijah remained sound asleep). When the girls realized that Jock was home, they came downstairs. Josephine took one look at me with Elijah asleep on me, and got all mad and huffed off. I did bathtime, so she had some special alone time with Mommy, but then so did Elijah, so that kind of negated that effect a bit. (Probably should've had Jock do his bath, but too late now.) Then at bedtime, she didn't want to look me in the eyes or tell me she loved me at kisses time either. She finally did, but somewhat reluctantly.

Poor girl. She's so jealous! She wants Mommy all to herself - or at least not to have Elijah get special Mommy time. She'll be fine tomorrow, just had a rough evening of it. :(

1 comment:

Kathy Cassel said...

I don't know about you, but sometimes it's hard to know how to handle things. Like Kayla will not get up and use the toilet when she's in bed. We take her about 10 pm and she's up at 5:45 which isn't that long, but she'll lay there and pee rather than go.

They can be so stubborn at school and with the bus driver. And even at home.

I feel like they are always in time out or missing out on something. Yet they make the choices again the next day.

Hope E. has a good day at school and hope I go one day without a teacher call : )