Monday, May 30, 2011

ABC Summer

A friend of mine the last couple summers has done an "ABC Summer" with her kids. She started the summer before her oldest started kindergarten. I decided a while ago to do this with Elijah & Josephine this summer. I’m going to give Kaylen the option to participate, be my helper, or work on her own things. I think it will bore her though, and I do want her to keep up with reading at math at her own level too. For the little kids, I thought it would be a fun way to learn their letters.

We’re going to spend about two days on each letter. We’ll take Sundays off or to review letters. We’ll also take a few days off around the 4th of July, which will be just about mid-alphabet for us, so maybe will use that time to review as well. We should finish up the first week of August, then we’ll have a few days to review the last half of the alphabet before Kaylen starts school and Elijah & Josephine start their preschool curriculum at daycare.

For each letter, we plan to do the following things:
  • Read books with subjects that start with the letter we’re working on
  • Eat foods/snacks that start with the letter
  • Color the upper and lower case letters (printed in block format), and practice writing the letter
  • Point out/stress words that start with the letter as we’re going through our day
  • Depending on timing and the letter, possibly do a special activity that starts with the letter
So, we’ll be going to the library about once per week. I’ll have a book list to choose from, and probably let them choose a couple books as well. I’ll let Kaylen choose her own fiction books, but maybe suggest a nonfiction book about something that starts with the letters we’re studying that week.

Each week, I’ll have our menu planned (some are more difficult/creative/healthy than others). I’ll also have the coloring/writing pages printed out ahead of time, and will have to take some time planning the fun activities too.

We’re looking forward to it! The kids have no idea what’s in store for them, but I hope they’ll have fun learning their letters!

I'll post about what we did for each letter as we go through the summer.

No comments: