Monday, February 6, 2012

Tooth Fairy

Over the last 3 1/2 years, Kaylen has lost all four of her front baby teeth, both top and bottom. She has also lost her bottom canines, which I thought were going to get skipped over for the next teeth back and then lost after those. But she proved us wrong, and the dentist told us sometimes they come out first. (I can't remember if she's lost her top canines or not yet.)

Well, she lost the first of her baby molars last week. While I was fixing supper and she was doing her homework, she told me it was wiggly. About 10 minutes later it was out. She doesn't mess around, when they start wiggling, she works on them until they're out because they drive her nuts! The permanent was right there ready to poke through.

Elijah, on the other hand, has his first permanent tooth poking through his gums behind one of his bottom front baby tooth. He doesn't like the feeling of wiggling it - says it makes a noise and hurts, so he won't wiggle it unless I get on him about it. Is he going to be the one that the dentist has to pull his out?

Josephine was crying that night because she didn't have any wiggly teeth - felt left out. I tried to console her and tell her that she was younger, so it might be a while yet, to no avail. I also told her that I lost my first tooth at age 7, even though Kaylen was 5 when she lost her first tooth, and Elijah is now 5 and should be losing his first tooth, so you just never know...

So Kaylen knows... but she's playing along for the others. She asked me, "Is the tooth fairy real?" I hesitated. She said, "C'mon Mom, I know that fairies aren't real, so tooth fairies aren't either, right?" Then she looked me straight in the eye and asked me, "Just tell me, is it you that puts the money under my pillow?" I admitted it. Josephine was in the room too, so I tried to be discrete even though I didn't know if she was listening. Then I called her over to me, and told her she needs to play along - ah, the fun of having younger siblings.

Because of the knowledge of Mommy the tooth fairy, Kaylen didn't even mention the money the next morning! I was hoping she'd still play it up and pretend to be excited, in hopes of motivate her brother to keep wiggling his tooth. But no. So I had to pointedly play it up the next morning. So far though, not working. Any ideas to get a scared little boy to keep wiggling and pull that tooth out? His next dental check-up isn't for 5 months!

1 comment:

kayder1996 said...

Kenson has big tooth coming in with the little tooth in front of it. It's wiggly but not near as wiggly as I thought it would be.