Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 in Review

It is almost 2010. I can’t believe how fast time seems to go. So much has happened in 2009!

In January, I had Lasik eye surgery, and said goodbye to my glasses and contacts that I’d worn (one or the other) for 25 years! Kaylen turned 6 years old in January, and we invited 10 of her friends and hosted a fun birthday party for her in our home.

In March, Jock and I took another trip (Jock’s 2nd, my 3rd) to Haiti to visit Elijah & Josephine and do some missions work at the orphanage.

In May, my little sister got married to her high school sweetheart. What a joyous occasion that was. Josephine turned 2 years old, and a week later I celebrated my birthday on Mother’s Day (actually Jock & Kaylen let me celebrate my birthday a day early so I would still get to celebrate both :). Kaylen played T-ball in May & June, and we visited Des Moines’ Blank Park Zoo with friends.

July was a very busy month. We spent a long weekend at my dad’s over Independence Day. Kaylen excelled in swimming lessons, after gaining experience in the pool at the once-a-week daycare field trips to our local aquatic center. Jock and I both were crew leaders and Kaylen attended VBS the last week of July.

August was also a busy month on weekends. One weekend we drove 9 hours to attend Optimist Club meetings in Davenport, a family reunion near my hometown, and then back home. The following weekend we helped welcome friends home to Des Moines after the adoption of their three children from Haiti was final. We attended the Iowa State Fair on Jock’s birthday. Kaylen started the 1st grade. We updated our home study for the third time since starting E & J’s adoption process.

In September, we spent a long weekend over Labor Day, with my family, and also held a surprise 60th birthday party for my dad. That was a fun weekend! Kaylen played in a fall soccer league in September and October. This was her first year of outdoor soccer, and she did great – and really enjoyed it.

Also in October, Jock and I and Kaylen, my two sisters, two of my nieces, and two of my nephews walked in Race for the Cure, in memory of my mom, who died from breast cancer 5 years ago this January.

November was a quieter month for us – finally! We stayed home for Thanksgiving this year, and then went ice skating for the first time of the season. Kaylen has a ways to go to catch Jock, but will soon be a better skater than me!

December is a typically busy month for us, with holiday preparations, shopping, and parties. We will close out 2009 and ring in the new year, visiting some friends in their new house for a couple days, before coming back home to celebrate with our church as we hold the first services in the newly-purchased and temporarily remodeled building. I am looking forward to a fun weekend!

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

May 2010 be the year our kids come home.

Tamara B said...

So fun to read... and looking forward to what God has planned for 2010 for your family.