Friday, June 22, 2012

Sibling Rivalry

So for Father's Day, Jock wanted to go out for donuts for breakfast. Kaylen had a 10 am soccer game, so we decided we'd all go instead of some of us going to church and splitting up. We were all up and ready by 8:15 and headed to HyVee. That gave us about 45 minutes to get there and eat before heading out for the soccer game.

I grabbed myself a Chai at the Starbucks just inside the store, and Jock and the kids headed for the bakery section. We met in the cafe area and sat down for a nice Father's Day donut.

As we'd expect, the kids each picked out the biggest glazed donuts they could possibly find, a couple with cute sprinkles and filling, and one with an inch thick of frosting. Jock got me a cake donut with white frosting, and himself an apple fritter, and juice for him and the kids.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the donuts. One of the kids finished very quickly, as we would expect this one to - such a sweet-tooth! The other two were slowing down, I think realizing that the extra large donuts with the thick frosting and filling might've been a little too much. One had about two bites left and said their tummy was full and asked, "Do I HAVE to finish?!?" Jock said no, and asked "Speedy Sweet-Tooth" if they wanted to finish the last two bites -- until the full child rescinded the full comment and quickly shoved the remaining bit into their mouth.

Not five minutes later, when it was nearing time to leave, the last child to finish had about 1/3 of the enormous donut remaining. Jock suggested maybe giving it to "Speedy Sweet-Tooth" who wasn't full and would be more than happy to consume more sugar. "Last-to-Finish" also decided to take a few more bites rather than give in to "Speedy Sweet-Tooth", although did eventually give in because it was just too much donut.

Oh, the selfishness in making yourself miserable just so that your sibling cannot be more happy. I'm sure I did some of the same when I was a kid, but seriously, this is the stuff that drives parents nuts! How did my parents not go crazy?!? :)

No comments: