Josephine was probably the most excited of my three to start school, not surprisingly. Kindergarten's a big deal!
At Meet the Teacher night, she got through her tasks like a pro - not wanting help, wanting to put all her supplies where they go very quickly and get on to the next thing, very matter-of-factly. So funny! Then when I asked if I could take a picture of her and her teacher, she got a little nervous, then warmed up fast once she talked to her teacher for a minute. :)
Later that evening, and the next night, while I was finishing her hair, I kept quizzing her on what grade she was in and who her teacher was. Then we'd talk about something else, and I'd come back to the question. It only took a few times for her to get down that she was in kindergarten, but she couldn't remember her teacher's name!
I don't know why, but I worried more about the kids starting kindergarten much more than I did with Kaylen. Maybe I just don't remember 4 years ago! I had visions of Josephine standing in a school hallway, alone and crying, because she was lost. Then when someone came up and asked her who her teacher was, she couldn't tell them. I'm happy to report she had it down after just a couple days of school.
Josephine picked her outfit when we went shopping also. She chose a dress, and then I had to find some leggings for her to wear under it. Later, when we went to the mall to shop for Kaylen's clothes, we found the perfect shoes for her to wear for kindergarten. But unfortunately the store couldn't find the match to the display model - the only one that was her size. She cried and sulked all the way down to the other end of the mall from JCPenney to Younkers, and then was SUPER excited when we found the same pair there, in her size! She's using her backpack that she used for our Disney trip last fall, that has barely been used since then.
Josephine's first highlight from the first day of school was that her teacher had a really big white "TV" that she pulled down from the ceiling. I asked if she shined lights on it and showed some letters, and she said no. She didn't like the school's pizza or chicken gravy over mashed potatoes (although I'm not sure she gave them a chance because she wants to use her lunchbox). When I asked about her special classes (art, music, and library, so far), she seemed to really like music class. She also got to write, sing songs, and has been wearing her eye patch every day, with help from her teacher of when her two hours is up.
So proud of my baby girl - not so much a baby anymore, and so excited to be a big kid in school!



1 comment:
She looks so much more grown up than I expected. Is she as tall as she looks in the pictures?
Post a Comment