Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Is it Spring Yet???

We’ve had quite a cold spring. So every chance we got, I tried to get the kids outside. Especially since I was at home with James, I tried to get him out of the house some too. If it was dry and warmer than 40 degrees, I’d bundle James up in the stroller, and we’d walk to pick the older kids up at school. We had a couple fairly warm days during spring break or on a weekend, so we walked or drove to the park those days.

I really wanted to give James the experience of climbing on the play equipment and going down the slides for the first time, before he went to daycare. He was a little tenative at first, and still doesn’t particularly like two of the really tall slides at the big kids’ elementary school, but he likes most of the slides now, and even the wobbly bridge.







It took me forever to get this photo of the kids on these things. I set James up there, and wrapped his legs around the post. But then his legs came apart because of those big bulky boots, and then he nearly fell off backwards a couple times! Then the kids were looking at him instead of me, and his hat kept covering his face. Oh well, still thought it was cute. We were trying to make the most of the RELATIVELY warm day to enjoy the outdoors.


We have had our trampoline for almost 5 years, and it’d seen better days. Actually soon after we got our first trampoline we had a bad storm and had to replace it. We kept what parts we could from the destroyed trampoline, but we still have to replace a piece or two each of the last couple years. Last year we replaced the net – it had torn badly at the bottom and wasn’t really able to hold the children in if they got too close to the edge. Last year the padding around the edges on top of the springs, and the padding on the net posts were pretty well shredded, but we held out until this spring to fix them. We got them ordered, and I got them installed with a little “help” from James, when we had a nice warm Saturday.

Once we got the repairs made, James got to enjoy jumping on the trampoline by himself for a little bit before the rest of the kids came up from the basement where they’d been watching a movie and realized they were missing out on the fun. Then it became a pretty rough and tumble time on the trampoline with 4 kids. I stood right there, making sure they were jumping gently to save us from injuries. It was so fun to watch, though. James was laughing and giggling the entire time!

We're looking forward to lots more time outdoors now that it appears spring is going to come and stay. We even got a little bike and bike helmet for James. He's been having fun wearing it inside... even before we had the tags cut off of it! I'm sure we'll have more photos of him wearing that helmet with the tags off and actually riding his bike soon. :)

No comments: