I have to share a very interesting conversation I had with Kaylen on the way home from daycare today. Actually it wasn't so much a conversation as it was her telling me about some of the day's happenings. I'm sure I don't quite have all the details of the story correct, but I'll try. And make sure when you're reading, imagine all the inflection in the voice of our little drama queen...
Today, both T and R asked me to be their girlfriend. So I told them that I can't have two boyfriends, so then I told T, "Don't cry if I pick R," and I told R, "Don't cry if I pick T." But then they didn't want to talk to me anymore. But then I told R that he couldn't have two girlfriends, because A is his girlfriend. Then he said he was going to break out with A, and I told him that I didn't think that was good because A would be sad. Then I told T that he couldn't have two girlfriends either, because J was his girlfriend, and her name is pretty. Then T told me that God was going to give him power so I would pick him, and then he said that he has enough power to lift up one-hundred-million bricks, but I told him he was just kidding.
So I then asked, "so, what did you decide?" (Trying not to lead her towards any answer in particular)
Well, I told them that I am too young to have a boyfriend.
So, do you think some of what we've been telling her has rubbed off yet? You know, of the 'You can't have pierced ears until you are x', 'you can't have a boyfriend until you're x', and 'you can't get married until you are x' variety? What shall we do with this girl? Five going on 15? My goodness, she's too young for this, isn't she?
A sidenote - however, an pretty important one... Kaylen also told us that T told her that if she said he was kidding, he was going to shoot her. Now, I know at this age, he's probably just frustrated, but who knows! This is insane. I told her that if anyone ever says that to her she should tell the adult in charge right away. (She said she did, but probably just because I told her she should have - anyway, she knows now...) There's just too many scary things that have happened in this world to let something like that fly. Where do kids get these ideas? I do know some kids who play a lot of violent army/war video/computer games. I don't really approve - so many of those video games are so life-like and so violent, so how do you expect impressionable young children to understand the difference? If they were older, he'd probably have been kicked out of school under a no-tolerance policy.
We have to also hope and pray that none of the parents keep any weapons within reach or unlocked in this day and age. Each year, when our foster care license is renewed, they ask if we have any weapons in the house. The requirement - which I think is a very good one - is that any weapons be kept locked up, and any ammunition be locked up in a separately. Smart ideas. Just hope these precautions are being followed closely by more than just parents that are being "watched". There's too much violence in the world. I can't protect her from it all, but God can. All I can do is teach her how she can stay safe, and pray that she listens and takes it to heart.
One more rambling. When I picked Kaylen up today, she said she told her teachers that Daddy and I love her all the way up to Heaven. It makes me feel awesome that she recognizes our love for her. She also said she loves us bigger than God. Without minimizing how awesome that made me feel, I had to try to explain to her that nothing is bigger than God, and that we get our love from God, so it can't possibly be as big or bigger than Him, but that's just too much for her to grasp right now I think. I'll just be happy for now that she's so expressive, and free to share her feelings with us.
Ah, the good times and trials of raising a 5-year-old!
3 comments:
It's amazing what kids will say -- good and bad. The shooting comment is scary. You can't be too careful.
It's awesome what Kaylen is picking up from her mommy and daddy. It's crazy to me how many parents don't set those boundaries with their kids...because you are training her well now, hopefully when she is 15 you won't have to deal with other issues.
Kaylen sounds like she knows what she's talking about!
Kids are so much fun at this age, write it all down because in 20 years it's so precious to read!
Terry
Post a Comment