
Wednesday was the big day. We got up at the same time we had been for about a week, had breakfast, got her new outfit on, and then I fixed her hair pretty before taking a few pictures and then rushing out the door to daycare. Daycare takes her to school in the morning and picks her up in the afternoon.


Kaylen's teacher seems very nice, and Kaylen said the same after the first couple days of school, so I'm glad. I was worried because she seemed very soft-spoken, but she's been a teacher for 9 or 10 years, so I hope that means she's experienced enough to not let Kaylen take over - as she has a tendency to try to do. Also though, the teacher will be having a baby in December, but they already have the sub lined up, and she's a retired teacher that regularly subs, so I think that'll work just fine too. I think Kaylen will have a good year.
Asking Kaylen what she's been doing in first grade, you'd think she's been bored. Sounds like they haven't done much learning of math or reading yet. She said they went over the rules a lot. I kept asking if they did any worksheets - math or reading or spelling or anything like that, and on Friday she told me they did one worksheet for math, and she said they were easy and she knew them all. I'm guessing/hoping it was a little testing to see what level they're at. I'm also hoping they'll get busy with things this week and start challenging her.
Kaylen's favorite thing was recess - go figure! She did say she got frustrated by people budging line to hang on one part of the new equipment. She apparently told the supervising teacher, but by then it was too late for her to have time before recess was over - such a rough life! Kaylen liked the lunches the first few days also. We've already gone through the lunch menu thru September and marked the days we'll have to pack her a cold lunch. She's had art, music, and library already for specials and they'll also have P.E. and library. They're on 5-day schedules this year instead of 6, so that'll be much easier for me to keep track of! She's got an extra pair of P.E. shoes in her locker so we don't have to worry about those days, but we do have to remember which day to take library books back.
She's also already determined she does not like one of her desk-neighbors at school. The teacher has them sitting in groups of 6, 2x3, boy-girl-boy, girl-boy-girl. Kaylen's on the end, and the boy that sits next to her apparently is a trouble-maker. According to Kaylen, amongst other things, he's been pestering her a lot - even hitting her with his pencil a lot - she got annoyed and told the teacher. Hopefully that's kept on top of, but we'll see.
1 comment:
What a cute outfit. I'm glad she's off to a good start. I am hoping Jasmine's class starts slowly with a lot of review, especially in math, but I'm afraid it probably won't.
Post a Comment