Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Yucky Head Lice!

Yep, we've been battling head lice. It pains me to even talk about it – I’m itching my head as I type, just thinking about it! With me never having even seen it before, I probably let it go unchecked for a week or so. When we found it, the week after Labor day, it was a huge infestation. I spent a couple hours picking eggs out of her hair, sent her to bed with clean sheets, and then spend the next day attempting to rid it from my house. We continued to change/wash sheets and clothing in hot water, wash hair brushes/combs and pony tail holders in the shampoo and hot water - then spray them, spray down/vacuum the furniture and her backpack, etc.

I thought we’d been rid of it since mid-September, but two weeks ago they were back! I then was checking her head every couple of days, and would find one or two of those little buggers each time, but no eggs - so I knew she was still getting them from somewhere/someone. Ugh!!! I’d also been careful to have Kaylen’s hair pulled back tightly each day, which takes time, but we just get up a few minutes earlier, or I do it when it’s wet on shower nights and it stays well overnight if done when wet. She used to have her hair down all the time because I didn’t want to fight the complaining, but it’s not worth the risk anymore and she’s getting better at not complaining. Problem is, you can’t stand over a 6-year-old nonstop and tell them not to lean their head on something, don’t let someone/something touch their head, don’t hang your coat next to that kid’s coat, etc.

We notified school and daycare twice – Sept 11th, and again two weeks ago. The school nurse’s reaction, on September 11th, was, “Uh-oh… We’ve sent notes home to the kindergarteners, but if we get too many more in first grade, we’ll have to send home letters to them too.” Too many more?!? WHY didn’t they send notes home the first time they heard of it!!! We received a note home Tuesday of LAST week – almost 5 weeks after we first found it. Sheesh! I just wanted go in that classroom, armed with several cans of permethrin spray, and douse all the surfaces and her locker & contents - and also throw out those reading pillows - that Kaylen had been instructed by me not to use any longer! I didn't though.

However, after a VERY LONG 6 weeks, I think we've finally conquered the lice. I've checked twice this week - Monday and today - and I haven't found a thing, other than dry flaky skin - typical for the colder weather we've been having. I can't tell you how tired I am of spraying, vacuuming, laundering, and picking every other day! Luckily Jock and I, and any houseguests we’ve had, were spared. We're hoping those nasty creatures are gone for good, and that they NEVER return!

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oh NO! That does not sound like fun! I hope this is that last for you!!

kayder1996 said...

Ugg! That is maddening. As a school teacher, I have been blessed not to have any critters in any of my classrooms. No lice or scabies! Even though I know it's not a big deal, that lots of people get lice, the thought of getting it myself and having to do all the things you had to do (your linens, your clothing, etc.) just totally overwhelms me.

Suzanne said...

Try shampoo with coconut oil in it. Smells great and apparently lice do not care for it so they stay away. Had a child with perpetual lice in my class, that is one thing that worked for her.

Katy said...

I live in frequent fear of those little buggies. Miraculously, I have somehow managed to escape it despite encountering it WEEKLY if not more with the work I do.(children's therapist in a poor community) Makes me itch just thinking of it But lice do not care how much money you make....they just like to find heads. =( Hope it is really over for you.

Tamara B said...

oh man. hadn't even crossed my mind to be concerned about that with my little guy being in preK. They share a locker with a child there on the opposite days. Hmm, I'll have to get trained on that.

Glad to hear you're beating it!

Ross Schuchart said...

Lisa, I've got to tell you that we never received a letter about lice in the kindergarten rooms. This is lowering my opinion of the school nurse a bit! Hang in there,
Nikki

Lisa said...

Really Nikki?!? Ugh!!! I never had a high opinion of the school nurse to begin with - even from the kindergarten parents' meeting last year. Don't even know why - maybe just the first impression. Who knows. Just seems a little like she's annoyed by things rather than wanting to do her job and help.

We *think* the lice is gone again, but if the lice comes back again, Jock will be calling the principal and the daycare director and having a little discussion.

Tamara - I think it's less likely in boys because their hair is so short, harder for the lice to latch onto their hair - AND easier to see. But watch out when your daughter starts school.