Josephine's head is now covered in box braids. The front two rows are "piggy-backed", with a rubberband holding the first braid where it meets the center of the next box. I'm not coordinated enough to do this without the bands, so I banded it, then re-parted the three pieces and braided to the ends. I soaked the rubberbands (and the hair) in coconut oil before putting them in, because I've been told to watch out for hair breakage if I put bands close to the scalp, and I'm re-oiling frequently. I did put the bands in a little too tight though, because for the next few days I noticed a little bit of pimpling at her hair line. (Note to self for next time.) My boxes are more even-sized (and with straight lines) this time than they were the first time, I was a little quicker with the braiding, and I was able to get a little bit closer to the end of the braids because I parted the three pieces more evenly.
The finished product:



Note: I REALLY liked the snaps at the end of the beads. They really brighten it up and make it look really cute. However, seven of the 20 snaps fell out (thus making the beads fall out) within 5 days. Since this style will likely last a 3-4 weeks, on Saturday, I replaced the beads on the ones that fell out with rubberbands to hold them on - I also took out the rest of the snaps and changed to bands. I'm tired of the kids bringing me beads when they fall out (but at least they don't eat them)! I think I'll stick with bands from now on. I was probably wrapping too much around the snaps' hinges, but some of them don't even close with no hair in them. Some were good, but I don't have very many, especially for color-coordinating - and they're out of this size now. So, the rubberbands are going to have to be just fine at the ends of her hair to hold beads on.
3 comments:
Very cute.
You've got the hang of it girl! Hair still scares me!
this is my fav hairstyle so far!
Post a Comment