Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Next steps...

A week or so ago, Jock talked to an For His Glory board member regarding our adoption. At that time they were working out plans to meet up with our Haitian lawyer/processor to get copies of paperwork to the families. We were hopeful after hearing that he probably had copies of our adoption decrees for us - and also this post from another adoption processor in Haiti, stating in #3 that the files in MOI (the step we were in) were retrieved from a file cabinet under the rubble. So we're waiting, hoping, praying we can get copies...

The same week we received information from USCIS outlining the next steps for families, depending on whether or not they had final adoption decrees issued by a Haitian court - which we did. The memo and the conference call seemed like good information initially, but also seemed to raise more questions when people started getting down to the details. And, it all hinges on whether or not we can provide proof/get a copy of our final Haitian adoption decrees. So again, we're waiting, hoping, praying we can get more information about this process, and praying we can get copies...

This week, another adoptive mom posted the following on a message board I follow:
"I was actually able to speak with someone I trust from USCIS last night & she explained that right now, their focus is still on getting the remaining 100-200 children out of Haiti (as it should be) & that the direction given to parents on the last conference call/Q&A posting may have been a bit premature. They are finding that decisions that they are making are having implications for the entire US Immigration policy & so are needing to rethink things & procedures are changing almost daily.

"So what that means for those of us who had completed adoptions & would have received IR3 visas is basically "sit tight for a bit"...the processing of our cases is being transferred to a new (much larger) division within USCIS (from Humanitarian Affairs to Field Ops), who will be much better equipped to make the proper policy decisions & communicate them to the local offices. She recommended that we not file the I485 yet, since the I600 needs final approval first anyway & they may come up with a better (less expensive/quicker) option. She said another conference call is likely in the works shortly."
I also heard from another mom who adopted from our orphanage, that our adoption lawyer/processor is planning to come to the US next week to meet with FHG's board of directors to sort through paperwork. So, we pray and wait. Please pray with us! It's a little unsettling not knowing what we should be doing next.

...

Things are going well at home with the two little ones. Next week Kaylen has spring break, although I'll probably have her go to daycare at least part of the time, or shorter days than usual. The following three weeks, I'll start taking Elijah & Josephine to daycare to play and get them used to the place, then will start leaving them there for increasing periods of time. I go back to work on April 12th! I'm sad about this, but they'll do fine there, and I know they'll be well-cared-for.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I don't know if I have a decree or not but if someone has a decree wouldn't they just finish it with a lawyer and the child would then be a U.S. citizen?

Tamara B said...

So good to read your update and know where things are at in your process. Praying for paperwork for you today!