I didn't go into this in detail on my New Year's Resolutions post, but I'm really getting serious about my health this year. So I'm starting Farrell's Extreme Bodyshaping – YIKES!!!
I'm a little nervous, but also excited to get started towards a healthier me. It's a ten week, six days per week program with four key components, according to their website: Cardiovascular exercise to burn fat, Resistance training to build muscle, Nutrition plan to help you eat healthy, and Instructors and coaches to keep you encouraged throughout your journey.
They do before and after photos, and testing at the beginning, middle and end. Photos are Friday evening (which won't be shared unless I win the 10-week contest – ha!) Orientation and testing is Saturday morning at 8am. I understand they measure weight, body fat and inches (chest, waist, arms, thigh, hips/butt, sit-and-reach); do one-minute sit-up and push-up tests; and an outdoor (rain/snow/shine) timed one-mile run. I'm not certain I can do more than a few sit-ups and push-ups or run a mile. I might have to walk part of it, especially if my asthma gives me trouble like it tends to do if I exercise in cold weather – but I will complete it – I can easily walk a mile, so my time should be under 20 minutes! :)
Then, starting dark and early Monday morning (5:15 am!), I'll be starting the exercise regime. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are cardio kick-boxing. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday are resistance training (bands). Luckily, Saturday is not at 5:15 am – there's a choice between 6, 7, or 9:15 am – still early for a Saturday, but I'm committed. That's the only good part about the cost of the program – it makes you committed, or you've just wasted a large sum of money! I'm committed to making it worth my money and time.
How did I decide?
I have a few friends that have completed the program – and a couple that continued to go to stay in shape even after their initial 10 weeks was completed. They have had good results, have sustained them, and I want to see that in myself as well.
I am at the highest weight I've ever been, and I'm not happy about it. My weight actually fluctuated quite a bit in the last year. Following the earthquake in Haiti, I lost about 10 pounds in two weeks with all the stress surrounding that event. I gained about half of it back, but was able to keep the other half off for at least a few months – but it came back after I went back to work, and had a less active lifestyle not chasing 2 toddlers around my house! Then in June, I was sick and eventually had emergency surgery. During those the week of my surgery and the week of recovery, I also lost about 10 pounds. It all came right back after recovery, and then some. I think I'm up 7-10 pounds from where I was a year ago (before the earthquake), and I just haven't been happy about how I look, how my clothes fit, etc, for a several months.
I've never been much of a dieter, and I have horrible eating habits. I tend to not pay attention to portion sizes and instead, overeat. I also don't pay too much attention to calorie, fat, or sugar intake. I'm guessing that the nutrition component is going to be the hardest part of this program for me – but I really want to make it work, and I am going to try to get my entire family eating healthier as well.
Over the past two years, I've tried to start a 9-week Couch-to-5k running program several times. I was doing well motivating myself to get up in the mornings to run/jog three days per week. Each time I'd start the program, I'd have to stop around week 4 or 5, due to shin splints. I'd give myself rest time, and then try to start again, with no luck. New shoes didn't seem to help. I was, however, running on pavement. I also understood that sometimes shin splints can occur with decreased muscle strength in the lower leg, with excess weight, or by doing too much too quickly. I still have a goal of running a 5k someday, and would like to continue running, so I'm hoping Farrell's will help in the building muscle strength in my legs and losing weight, so maybe I can start running again after the 10 weeks and make that goal of running a 5k this summer!
So there it is. That's what I'll be doing for the next 10 weeks. I'm doing something extreme!
1 comment:
Go get 'em Lisa! You have more drive than me. I always wimp out on exercise programs. You can do it!
Post a Comment