Yes, starting Farrell’s means daily exercise. And not just any exercise – my body has been put to the test this week! I haven’t worked my body this hard since ... well ... I’m not sure I ever had. And I’m not saying I haven’t ever done anything – but not like this! Or maybe it’s because I’m about 15 years older than I was the last time I’ve done anything remotely close to this.
I’ve been very sore most of the week from the training I’ve endured. My muscles are rebelling, but that means progress, right? My pecs were already sore from the push-ups during the Saturday testing, and there are at least a few push-ups done at each work-out so that has continued somewhat.
Monday was my first day of cardio kick-boxing. I am generally a fairly coordinated person, but felt a little uncoordinated at times. I was able to complete most of the skills though, and the coaches helped us all to do it in proper form to really work the muscles and prevent injuries. Slowly, but surely, I’ll figure this out!
Tuesday morning was ROUGH! It was lower body resistance day, and I couldn’t even complete one set of some of the exercises – so I just did as many as I could, and didn’t worry about speed (the second of the three sets for each exercise is supposed to be faster – yah right!) - basically my second set was continued into the second set, then I did a few of set 3. We did exercises for quads, hams, adducts/abducts, gluts, and abs. My legs were pretty sore before walking out that day and it progressed throughout that day as I sat at my sedentary job.
The soreness continued through (and maybe worsened) Wednesday, but I was able to keep up with the cardio-kickboxing on Wednesday morning – even the kicks, despite my sore legs. The Wednesday instructor really worked the arms that morning, but I survived without too much additional soreness there. [Luckily Jock bathed the little kids that night, as I don’t think I could have done it due to my legs! By the way, he’s been an awesome support to me starting this program – encouraging, supportive of my meal plan, and picking up my slack when I’m in pain or too tired.]
Thursday morning was upper-body resistance day (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday alternates between upper-body and lower-body). I was glad for the rest-day for my legs – although they got a little warm-up with the jumping jacks at the beginning which were on the verge of going too long for my poor legs. We moved right into arm work-outs, and those went OK. Like the legs, I couldn’t complete all three sets of everything, but there were some I could mostly complete. The experienced lady next to me warned me after the chest and back exercises that the shoulder ones were the hardest. She was right (youch!) – I couldn’t complete any of those sets. The instructor was good about telling us to drop the bands and just do the motions if we couldn’t complete it, so that was helpful. The triceps were rough also, and then we finished with the biceps. Overall, upper body resistance wasn't too bad ... until I got home and in the shower and my triceps complained when I tried to wash my hair. Washing hair is over-rated, anyway, right? No, I am still washing my hair – don’t worry! (I did skip conditioner today though.)
Now that I’ve completed each of the types of work-outs, I’m interested to see how I do on the second round, if it gets easier, or if it takes a couple times of the pain and suffering until it starts getting easier. I guess, though, that getting easier isn't the point - since it's not supposed to be easy or I'm probably not working the muscles. But, I do hope the pain subsides somewhat though.
The nutrition plan is going well. I’m able to eat foods that I like, and I’m not really hungry throughout the day. The only issue I had was with a protein shake – my stomach didn’t like it, especially at 4:45 am! I didn’t see it again, but I didn’t feel so good after my cardio workout. I also tried peanut-butter on a toasted English muffin – which I love – but also was slightly queasy after that morning's cardio work-out. My stomach does like a hard-boiled egg and a piece of toast better for its pre-workout energy – but I’ve only tried that on resistance days, so I'll find out tomorrow if that will be good on cardio days as well.
I’m also hoping that my routine of going to bed earlier and getting up earlier gets easier. For some reason, twice this week I’ve woken up an hour or two after I’ve gone to sleep, gone to the bathroom and in my groggy state, have half-gotten dressed for work-out, before realizing it really wasn’t 4:30 yet. Sheesh! Don’t know if I’m just nervous about sleeping through it, if my body thinks I’m just taking a nap when I go to bed that early, or if I just drink too much water and have to get up to go to the bathroom. Maybe a combination of all three!
P.S. – I hope all my Farrell’s posts aren’t a complete bore or annoyance to you. I’m writing all of this so I can look back on what I’ve accomplished, keep myself accountable, and maybe even inspire someone else to make positive lifestyle changes. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment