Sunday, April 24, 2011

Exercising

So I finished Farrell’s 10-week program on March 19th, down 6 pounds and several inches, and in much better shape than when I started in January. I decided to continue on… with the work-out classes, and the nutrition plan.

Well, life happens, and I’m not near as strict as I had been with the nutrition, but for the most part I’m keeping it up (Easter didn't count though). I have missed some classes in the last couple weeks (traveling a few days for work, not feeling good, and a few lazy/need-sleep days). But for the most part I’m still making the 5:15 am class on weekdays, and a Saturday class, time dependent on how early Kaylen’s soccer game or other plans for the weekend are scheduled.

I’m down three more pounds, so I’m happy about that. It’s going slowly, which hopefully means it’s going to be easier to maintain. I hope to continue losing in this area as well. At this rate it might take another two years to reach my goal, but for me, it’s more keeping up with the lifestyle change. I like the workouts, hard as they are some days, and hard as it is for me to get up in the morning some days. I also like the nutrition portion – I feel better when I stick with it – or at least fairly closely.

I’m also still going to try to run the Dam to Dam 5k. That should be fun. We have several friends planning to run the 20k, but one friend in the group wants to run the 5k. I asked her how fast she usually runs but she didn't really answer me - just said she’d even walk it with me, to have someone to do it with. I think she’ll probably be annoyed with how slow I am, and my having to stop and walk, as I haven’t done very well working my training up from a 1 mile run.

I thought once I got into shape with Farrell’s, I’d be able to take the 1 mile testing run and just run a few times per week to increase the distance up to a 5k. But, I’m still having issues with my shins, so I haven’t been able to do it.

FRUSTRATING!!!

I’m working on some home physical therapy exercises, and got different shoes, so still trying. I did get a bit longer run in on a hotel treadmill (I was traveling for work) last Tuesday – and doing the exercises throughout the day, I did NOT have shin pain during or afterwards – YEAH!!! Eventually, I’ll get to the point where I can run a full 5k without being in severe pain... maybe. But it might take a while.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I have shin issues too no matter how much I stretch out. But now my hips don't let me jog anyway. But still I walk for an hour 3 times a week and the shins hurt.

Kathy Cassel said...

And just set your own goal for the 5K. My boys do it in 19 min & 21 min but they are built like runners. Jessica did one in 34 yesterday and she has only ran a mile previously.