So I just got the girls' dance recital handbook today. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I suppose if I re-read it several times in the next few weeks, I might figure it out. Let me just say, that weekend in early June is going to be one VERY LONG WEEKEND!!! But it starts long before that...
Costume fitting is next week during class, then photos with each of their groups the last Saturday of this month. Yes, hair and make-up done, and new/unwashed/unworn tights, no panties, steamed costumes, etc., are required for photos as well as recitals. Yes, Kaylen's going to look so pretty for her soccer game that afternoon after photos! :)
Then in June - recital weekend! Rehearsal starts at 3:00 on Thursday afternoon. Josephine's first dance rehearses at 3:30, so we'll have to be there right on time. Kaylen's dances are at 4:50, 7:05, and 7:50, then Josephine's other dance rehearses almost at the end, at 8:25. That's going to be the longest day EVER!!! We'll have to find a time in there to go have dinner and wiggles - but not too many wiggles because we have to keep the hair/makeup perfect. I guess I'll take the afternoon off work to pick them up from daycare and get them ready.
Recital itself will seem like a piece of cake after that! Except that Josephine will be half asleep. She's usually in bed around 7:30, so hopefully being up late Thursday night for rehearsal and Friday night's performance will not mean that the Saturday afternoon performance is a disaster. I'm not sure having the two preschool classes (J's and another one) performing their tap routine 2nd and 3rd to the very end is a great idea, but we shall see.
But really, I'm having the most issues with the hair and make-up rules. I don't think they considered a child with very dark brown skin, and super-kinky hair.
There's a "No 'wispies' please." note in the handbook. Josephine's hair takes me about 6 hours to style, maybe longer considering I'll have to probably put it up in tiny braids that can then be styled similarly to the yet-to-be-determined hair style. So, I'll probably have to do her hair either the weekend before photos and the weekend before recital -or- take two more days off work to do it the day before photos and recital. Her hair gets "wispy" (or in her case, I call it fuzzy) within hours, and definitely overnight. So the "No 'wispies'" is probably not going to be possible for her. It's not like I can just slap more gel on in about 5 minutes and we're good, like I probably can with Kaylen's.
The make-up will be interesting too. Considering I rarely wear make-up myself, and I don't believe I've ever applied eyeliner, this is going to be tough. Any offers of help out there???
Josephine's make-up is a completely different issue altogether. Again with the non-consideration of a student with very dark brown skin. I don't really have issue with the red lipstick. And I totally get that white girls totally look washed-out on a stage under lights, so they need make-up. But Josephine's going to look like a clown if I use beige or brown eye shadow and taupe eyebrow pencil on her - maybe the blush too. The black or brown mascara and eyeliner will not even show up for her. Her eyes are already accentuated by her dark skin making her eyes look bright-white. I'd LOVE ideas from women with dark skin who wear make-up, or moms with kids with dark skin who've had to do dance make-up like this. I'm completely out of my element here! The handbook does say we can discuss make-up colors and brands at costume fitting, but I'd like some thoughts before then so I'm not coming from complete and total ignorance!
HELP!!! Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I'm soooo not cut out for this dance-mom role! Any suggestions from you seasoned dance moms?
1 comment:
We are right there with you. Costume fitting next week. I haven't gotten tights yet. We need stirrup, dark tan and fishnet I think. I have four children in the recital this year. Our hair is always low bun so kids don't have to try and fix hair if they are in more than one dance. I just pull Jasmine's back like white girl hair. Kayla's is so short it doesn't matter. Our photos are next Sunday morning!!! I think hair can be any style for the photos.
Last year a mom took the red lipstick Jasmine was using and did her blush using a little bit of the lipstick. It's different for little black girls. I would use whatever colors you need to in order for the make up to come out look the way she wants. We do about half the amount on Jasmine. She doesn't need anything but the lips and cheeks and maybe some sparkle on the eyes.
Post a Comment