Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Relationships

(Looking at the photos of all four of my kids on my cell phone.)
Josephine: "I like my brudder, named James. He's cute!"
Elijah: "He's a boy, not a girl."
J: "I know. Him's cute."
E: "He's a boy brudder. I got a boy brudder. You got a girl brudder."
J: "No, we're getting a boy brudder, he not a girl. Him's my brudder too."
E: "Nuh-uh. Mom, Josephine said she not getting a girl brudder?"
Mom: "Um, no, James is a boy, and he is going to be Josephine's brother and he'll also be your brother and Kaylen's brother."
(Elijah rolls his eyes back, silly confused.)
Mom continues: "Josephine is your sister, and she's going to be James' sister, and she's your sister. YOU are Josephine's brother and James' brother. Boys are brothers, and girls are sisters."

Yes, we're a little confused about sister and brother relationships.

We also still get confused about husband/wife vs mom/dad relationships too. We still ask on a regular basis when we see a friend without their spouse present, "Where's your Mom/Dad?" when they mean, "Where's your husband/wife?"

No comments: