The kids were super-excited for their parties at school, and I sent them off with their valentine cards to share with their friends. After dropping them off, I met a friend of mine to pick up the cake balls I'd ordered for dessert. Then James and I had a pretty normal day at home - playtime, lunch, naps.
When we went to pick the kids up from school. The parking lot and all the side streets were jammed, probably because of all the parents attending or helping with the parties. So I waited in line on the street to do the drive-through pick-up. Wasn't sure how that was going to work, since my kids were used to coming to a certain section of the parking lot to find me, and I wasn't sure they'd handle something out of the ordinary - I hadn't prepared them for something like that.
Luckily, though, my kids are usually some of the later ones making their way out of school, due to Elijah usually visiting the guidance counselor for a prize at the end of the day. By the time the pick-up line had moved enough for me to get into the parking lot, there were parking spaces in my usual spot. No sooner had I parked, did the kids come down the sidewalk. :)

The kids got to the van, quite full of sugar and excited stores to tell of their parties. James got excited just hearing them! When we got home, the kids played nicely together, which gave me time to put together a fun little supper for them.
At our small-group Bible study that night, the guys had a little surprise for the ladies. When we were done with our studies, they split up the guys and ladies and we were supposed to do a little activity. After a bit, the men came back in with little love notes they read aloud to each of us, and gave us each a rose and they had lots of chocolates to share!
Friday the Valentine's fun continued. Our church hosted a Daddy-Daughter dance. Jock took both of the girls out for a nice dinner, to the dance, and then to Cherry Berry for dessert. Both girls thought it was weird when we called it a date - apparently that's something Mommy should do with Daddy, not his daughters! Kaylen had asked several years if she and Daddy could go to the Daddy-Daughter Dance that the city Parks & Rec department puts on, but it had never worked out for us. This time it worked out perfectly, and even better, it was at our church, so we knew several other families going, and knew it would be a great event.
Kaylen was VERY nervous about having to dress up so nicely. She bargained with me one morning all the way to school, and again later that day to get her to wear pants, or even a less dressy outfit -- just about every outfit in her wardrobe that was even slightly dressy. The fact that it was advertised as a "formal attire" event didn't matter to her. She also even bargained to be permitted to take an extra change of clothes for dinner and dessert before and after the dance. Um, nope. You can tell she's even a little nervous in this photo I took before the left home. Josephine was giddy - she LOVES dressing up!
The girls had a great time at the dance. Josephine also did a little craft and both girls tried hula-hooping. Kaylen's done it before and does quite well with it. Josephine was a beginner, but apparently didn't try very long. I didn't hear a lot about dancing, but I'm sure they did some of that too. :)
The boys and I stayed in, except for a quick trip to Casey's to pick up a pizza for supper. Then we retired to the basement for popcorn and a movie.
I'd say Valentine's Day this year was a grand success!
No comments:
Post a Comment