Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring Planting?

Well, it was a mostly nice day outside today - in the upper 60s, although it didn't quite feel like it with the wind. We went to my niece's state gymnastics meet this morning, then I went out for lunch with Amy and Grace, before coming home to relax for a couple hours. Then, I got up and started working on the plants. We don't really have a garden (yet) at this house, but our indoor plants needed some work.

My peace lily from my mom's funeral over three years ago hadn't ever been split. We'd trimmed and thinned out the leaves several times, but never split it. The entire pot was one enormous root-ball. No wonder it never bloomed anymore, the leaves never got big and only turned yellow and died. It was still spawning new little peace lillies, but that's about the extent of it. Well, it's now a much more sparse and manageable plant. Looks kind of strange right now, but it'll grow out again.




We had the cutest basket of little green plants. (I honestly don't have a clue what they all are.) I split them up because it was impossible to water them in that shallow basket, and I think their growth was stunted. I still need to put them in better pots and put dishes under them, but I've arranged three of them on our entertainment center. I think they look really cute there. The rest are on the kitchen sink window-sill for now.

My dieffenbachia was just really sad - I think the soil in it was just starting to rot. It was getting watered regularly, but not getting enough light since we'd put up new darker curtains in the room it was in. I put in clean soil and am going to put it in a sunnier window. I also had previously cut a few shoots to see if I can get them to root out and re-grow the bulk of the plant, as the one large stem with just a couple leaves on the end looks crazy - if that works, I'll cut down the long ones and re-pot the rest too. We'll see how it does - it's a bit more temperamental than my ivy or the peace lily. However, I'm a little partial to it, because it was also a plant from my mom's funeral, from some good friends of mine.

I still need to re-pot my other peace lily that came from my grandpa's funeral last December. It's still in good shape though, I think. Do you know how hard it is to find pots in the middle of winter in Iowa?! A couple older plants of ours that were in our kitchen window behind the sink need some work again. And, we have some more landscaping we'd like to fix up outside, but those items will have to wait for other nights or weekends - I'm beat!

I also noticed that some little creature - likely a bunny (they're rampant in these parts!) - ate my crocus flowers that were out around our maple tree. Bummer! Not sure what I'll do about that. Thought I'd look up if there was anything I could put on them that would deter creatures from eating it - like the powder stuff you can use in your vegetable garden. If you have any handy-dandy tricks for that, please let me know. I might call Earl May or the extension and see if they have any ideas for me if I can't find anything on the internet. They better stay away from my lillies that are coming up. I've got a flower bud on one of them already too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lisa, i tried (and it worked) to spray fabreeze on my new shoot plants. we have too many bunnies also. kept them away of my peonies
as they were growing up.kathie

Anonymous said...

You can also sprinkle ground/crushed red pepper on them. That keeps our bunnies from eating stuff. Of course, you have to reapply it every time it rains (that's hard to keep up with this time of year!)
Nikki

Jodie said...

At least you attempt to grow plants -- I kill things before they even get started.

I have heard about sprinkling cayenne pepper around plants. I haven't tried it yet, though. I might this year -- we have really bad bunnies, too. But we also get rain often in the summer.

Lisa said...

Hmm - yes, the rain would wash it all away, wouldn't it. And I thought the bulbs/perennials were the key to a low-maintenance lawn/yard. Well, probably something that Kaylen would love to help with though - she'd think that's fun. I'll have to give these a try. Thanks for the ideas!

Anonymous said...

This might be kinda goss but I've heard that laying human hair around plants keeps bunnies away because of the scent. When I was in school we had a couple people come and put a bunch of cut hair in a plastic bag and take it home for their gardens. -Karen