Monday, March 15, 2010

Elijah's Hair

I'd bought a pair of clippers to use on Elijah's hair, so we FINALLY tried them out. It was long overdue, but it was kind of cute to see what Elijah's hair would look like if grown out a bit longer. We're a fan of the more conservative short look though.

We first brushed out his cute little curls with our boar's hair brush, so they weren't quite so balled-up. We do this regularly anyway, but before cutting we thought was important because then we'd get a more even cut - and that held true. With all those curls, it was hard enough getting it even...

We had him sitting on a step-stool, but he was very squirmy because he was scared of the clippers. So I held him on my lap and held his hands. Jock held his head still against my chest as he clipped. By the time we were almost finished, he was a little more calm. But then Jock took the guard off (we used a 1 guard) and used just the clippers to shape around his neck, ears, and forehead. He didn't like that too much either, but did OK until Jock was finished. By that time we were both covered in tiny, itchy, curly hairs, so we headed for the bathtub. Josephine was also close-by so got some on her too - her socks were covered! Fun times! Good thing it was Saturday evening and time for a bath anyway! :)

I'm not sure why he was quite so scared of the clippers. My sister, the professional hair-cutter, says almost all 3-year-old boys are scared of the clippers. I can understand that. Other friends from our orphanage said their boys were not scared, but I do remember seeing boys getting their hair shaved at the orphanage, who were crying. I'm sure they didn't use a guard, and I wondered if the clippers got hot and maybe were dull and pulled, since they probably did so many boys at once. Who knows... I'm thinking we might want to clip his hair a little more often so he can get used to them though. We'll see.

So here are the before and after photos...
Before brushing:
After brushing, but before clipping:(Note: Yes, the same length - it's very cute and looks shorter, but it doesn't take long for the balls to form again even at this length - we could brush it all day long!)

After:

3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I think we are going to keep Kaleb's short for now too. He gets white itchy places under it and I don't want to risk ring worm.

kayder1996 said...

Looks great. That's one thing people don't realize. With black little boys, you either have to have it shaved or you are dealing with a fairly time consuming process to keep it looking nice. And we really like Kenson with some hair. The upkeep to start his locs was about just as much upkeep as keeping his hair 1-2 inches long for a short Afro. And now that the hair is really pretty much locked, it's completely wash and go with a 1-1.5 hour twisting session every 6 weeks or so. It's really very easy to keep up with but people think it must be very time consuming.

Tamara B said...

Thanks for sharing the information. I'll have to try to find a brush like you talked about for our little guy... maybe I'll be lucky and they'll have it at wallyworld.