Thursday, July 15, 2010

6 Months Since the Earthquake

With the 6-month anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti having been Monday, I’ve been watching the news coverage on CNN this week regarding how things are going in Haiti now. Haiti will always be in our hearts, and it pleases me that they are again getting coverage that is so desperately needed to bring attention and much-needed help to this tiny nation. It pains me to watch some of the coverage, yet I remain glued to the coverage, in hope of what could be.

It’s brought tears to my eyes to see the people still struggling so with basic living activities – that seem like they should be so simple, yet they remain so difficult in a country of so little – even before the earthquake. I can see pain in their eyes, yet a people so strong and resilient, because they have to be.

I’ve been angered by a few things I’ve seen and heard, such as the corruption in the customs officials in the port, where equipment and supplies – even a shipment of beans – are being held for ransom for months, when they could be put to such good use if released… and all the while the president (who was interviewed on AC360) seems to be unaware or perhaps unwilling to make sure that the situation is corrected. Or the enormous warehouses full of food, yet an orphanage almost next-door that isn’t sure how they will feed the 50 children beyond the pot of beans that is currently cooking.

I’ve smiled at seeing great things accomplished – or even seemingly small things, that to one person, is a great thing: medical treatments, food and water supplies provided to people in need, a wall being built for protection, a home being planned for a family that lost theirs, shoes or diapers or sanitary napkins provided to families living in a tent city.

So I continue watching, in prayer, hopeful for the small miracles to be transformed and multiplied into large ones. And I pray for each and every one of us watching – and those not watching – to learn of even the tiniest way that they can help someone in need, even today. Maybe someone can spare financial resources to donate towards a cause. Maybe someone has had it laid on their hearts to adopt a child. Maybe someone can take a week to travel and share their skills on a mission trip. Maybe someone can spare a smile to brighten someone’s day and encourage them. There is so much we can do. I pray for the LORD to show me how he wants to use me today, right now, for His Glory!

No comments: