The radishes, spinach and lettuce are done - they were yummy. We didn't quite get the crop I would have liked to on the lettuce and spinach, but we had a fair amount before I had my surgery. Our onions are doing beautifully - we're enjoying picking them as we need them. I planted a bunch, but I'm not sure how many we'll have left to save for the winter, because we keep pulling them to eat. Oh well, at least they're not going to waste.
We just started getting in cucumbers - and they're plentiful. The zucchini and yellow squash aren't looking good. :( The jalapeno's are bountiful. The green bell peppers are coming along nicely - should be able to make stuffed peppers this weekend! :) We've had two tomatoes so far, and there are many more that just aren't ripe yet.
Tonight Jock grilled cheeseburgers, and we cut up a smorgasboard of garden vegetables to go with - our small tomato, onion, cucumber, green beans, sauteed onion and onion/jalapeno mix - yummy!!!


The kids and I stopped by the grocery store on our way home to pick up bananas and milk, and a 4# of strawberries jumped right into the cart (they were on sale for $5, and they weren't going bad)! So for dessert I mashed some to have over ice cream, along with a little banana and some chocolate syrup (except for Josephine who just had the fruit/syrup). Yummy again!!!
3 comments:
Yum. Don't know if you're green bean eaters, but they would be a geat addition for next year's garden. They make bush varieties that mound but they also make climbing varieties. I've seen photos of people who have made little teepee type structures with the beans running up the sides and then used the interior as a play area for their kids.
We love green beans... I just hate picking them. So at the beginning of the summer, I asked Kaylen if she wanted to be in charge of part of the garden this summer - she jumped at the chance. Well, I planted them, and Daddy's done most of the weeding of the garden - but she and Daddy picked three ice-cream-bucket-fulls of beans Sunday night - she was so proud of her work - the first crop of them! We've eaten about half of them, and I imagine we'll have a bunch more ready to pick by tomorrow or Thursday.
Never heard of the tee-pee type structure - that sounds quite interesting! My sister planted the vining beans and used fencing for the vines to attach to - but she said that the bush beans, while harder on the back to pick, yield much better than the vining pole bean variety.
lisa, I remember grandpa wilson making a tepee with 3 poles a few years. Then he switched to bush type because of the yield.
Post a Comment