Saturday, July 23, 2011

Random Thoughts

  • Kaylen's always got her nose in a book these days. Her last trip to the library she discovered the "Boys Against Girls" series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. She's read two of them this week so far. Excellent!

    ...Except for the fact that she stayed up reading an hour past her lights-out time. We're keeping track of her reading time and what books she reads for a summer reading program chart she will to return to school this fall for prizes. The next day when I wrote down her book and minutes, it looked like she'd finished a book in about 20 minutes. Ummmm.... "What time did you turn off your lamp last night?" "Um, I don't know, 8:06." "Really? How did you finish that book in only 20 minutes?" "Oh, um, I guess it was 8:11." Right. Well, the lamp has been unplugged until trust has been earned back.

  • Elijah has his good days and his bad days. Apparently Thursday he got caught hitting a friend outside for recess and got sent to the picnic table to sit down for a bit. I assume maybe he didn't want to go, so was excorted to the picnic table where he may have proceeded to throw a fit and hit the teacher who was trying to get him to sit down. I just got a note, so no chance to ask questions, but it then said that the teacher had to get an ice back due to bleeding. Hmmmm... No, you will not be watching television or getting dessert tonight for injuring your teacher. I think a talk with his teachers and/or the daycare director is in store for us. I don't understand why he has such misbehavior there. I think it might be a personality issue with the teacher. It's no excuse for his behavior, but don't they also need to know how to reach the child on his level/personality too? Later he told us that he didn't get to watch a movie when all the other kids did - not sure about that. I hope to talk to the teachers again Monday.

  • Josephine has been doing a good job with her glasses - it's been over a week now, and no issues so far. She's mostly leaving them on her face except for sleeping and showers. I caught her one time trying to put them on the floor to try to get her shirt off quick. I stopped that one right away with, "Don't you ever put your glasses on the floor." I think it worked. She did chew on one of the bows one of the first days she had them. I asked her where she was when she did it, she said, "At daycare, under the table." I made it clear that wasn't allowed - they have to stay on her face.

  • Jock's work is VERY busy right now - has been for over a month. And when I say VERY busy, that's an understatement. Don't know if it's unrealistic expectations on his or someone else's part, but he's very stressed out, and some days it carries over to when he gets home. Not fun. :( Hope it lets up soon.

  • I'm fairly busy at work myself, but it's not all that stressful, just busy. It's because the main project I work on is a 3-year contract, and the current contract is up July 31, and the new one starts August 1. It's so different and fun and interesting, but a lot of work to get the data calculations, tracking systems, etc., up and running to support the new contract.

  • Our adoption paperwork is almost done. It's being translated now. Should have it ready to send off for a referral by the end of the month. Had hoped by mid-month, but it wasn't to be. We'll get there.

  • Kaylen's playing in a soccer tournament again this weekend. It's four games today - YIKES!!! Then possibly two on Sunday, but she won't make the first of those two because it conflicts with church. Good thing it's in town! I was thinking it'd be better weather than last weekend, but now I see that the excessive heat warning is in place again, and a chance of a thunder shower. Yuk!

  • Also this weekend, Jock and Elijah are off hunting for landscaping rock, and a new lawn mower - ours died last night in the middle of mowing the back yard. At least he got the front done! :) That mower was a hand-me-down, and we got every last ounce of life out of that thing the last 9 years.

  • This coming week we'll be busy with VBS at our church. I'm helping and all three kids will be attending. Because of that we'll be taking a hiaitus from the letter-learning. We'll start on V next Friday, and should finish the alphabet and have a couple days for review the week before school starts.

  • I can't wait until my sister has her baby. We'll probably make a quick weekend trip to see them when she does. Can't wait to meet my newest little neice or nephew. :)

  • I'm also looking forward to a weekend coming up to go shopping with some girlfriends. We're all leaving our husbands home with our kids Saturday morning and going to the Mall of America, staying overnight, some more shopping Sunday before we head home. Maybe we'll even have time for a stop at Ikea. I've never been and don't really know what all the hype is, but it should be a fun weekend!

  • School will be starting in three weeks. I can't believe how fast this summer has gone! I also can't believe how early our district starts! Kaylen's excited to see who her teacher will be. Lists should be posted August 1. She wants to go look that day to see who will be in her class. I remember the days - so fun to see if you got the teacher you wanted.

4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Jasmine starts at a new school and I don't know any of the teachers so don't know who to hope for. Six kids at five different colleges/schools this year. Hang on tight because you will be packing them for college all too soon. We are there. Ty is 21 today.

It sounds like you need a break!!

kathie said...

Ikea is worth the trip across the road. It is a little like being hearded through like cattle, but Laura and I really liked it. If nothing else it gives good ideas for storage solutions, whether you buy them there or borrow the ideas

Lisa said...

Kathie - sounds like my kind of place, except for the hearded-like-cattle bit. I love looking for storage/organizing ideas!

Kathy - I so need a break - expecially after today's insanity. Next weekend we'll hopefully visit the baby, then the following weekend is girlfriend time! :)

Rose Anne said...

Lisa,
Make time to go to their restraunt and try someLinganberry juice!
it is alittle industrial looking but you might find something you need!
Just have Fun!