Interesting. Jock had a diversity training today, and he showed me the video they watched as part of the training. Actually he's on his company's diversity council, so he had seen it before when the council did training for their small group last year. He told me about it then, and I'd heard of it, having grown up fairly close to where it occurred.
A third grade teacher in Riceville, Iowa did an experiment with her class, dividing them into two groups - blue-eyed vs brown-eyed, and one group discriminated against the other, then switched it around the next day. Then years later a similar experiment was done with adults. It was scary how easily even the adults discriminated against their peers. I'd like to say that I wouldn't behave the same way if put in the same situation - where discrimination was rampant and even encouraged/taught - but I don't know. I think having seen this program now I'll be more aware at least!
Check it out here - you can see the whole program, which was featured on PBS Frontline back in the 80's, but it's apparently still widely viewed.
No comments:
Post a Comment