Well, I've been trying to learn a little bit about hair and skin care for when our children come home. It's apparently quite a different story from the ease with which we take care of ourselves. Think of your skin, and how dry and flakey it might get during the coldest of winter. Even worse than that might be something that we'd expect Elijah & Josephine to experience, possibly even in the summer. And instead of flakey, theirs will look more like ash. We'll really have to keep on top of things.
Also, there has been some discussion recently on hair care, even for boys. We will probably try to keep Elijah's hair very short to not cause problems - at least until he's older. But Josephine's will be an altoghter different story. Even washing it seems to be quite the technique, not to mention removing the prior styling, and re-styling. One adoptive mom has started writing a monthly column called "Hair Matters" on RainbowKids.com, and I'm going to read those articles closely and save the articles for future use. They're very helpful, including the items you'll need, step-by-step instructions, and pictures to go with. (By the way, she also has an awesome article from a while back, titled "More than Just Hair", that you can search for on RainbowKids.com.)
Another adoptive mom whose blog I follow has talked this summer about the days she re-does her girls' hair - she has three girls she adopted from Haiti, ages 3, 4, and 5. She says she re-does their hair-do's about every 4 weeks, or more often in the summer when they camp and swim a lot. She usually refers to these days with, "It's hair day tomorrow, so we'll be busy!"
I certainly hope I can live up to the challenge - no more showering and then straight to bed like we often do with Kaylen! Karen, you're learning this stuff so you can help me out a bit, right?! :)
2 comments:
Hi Lisa,
I really like to use the Johnson's Baby Oil Gel. It makes the kids slickery, but seems to absorb better than lotion.
Also, I wash Isabella's hair eevery couple of weeks, put some cream on it, and rebraid it.If her scalp looks dry between, I dab some cream between the braids. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it!
Natalie
Thanks, Natalie! I'll make notes of those things!
Post a Comment