A couple weeks ago, I read Natalie's post about Provision. It's excellently written, and I thought it could give you another perspective. It really makes things personal and got me to thinking.
This has specially been on my mind this holiday season. It's hard to think what Christmas will be like for the children at the orphanage and those that are caring for them. Mid-November, we sent Christmas gifts for Elijah & Josephine and one other child at the orphanage. I wanted to get Kaylen involved, so we chose a child who wasn't yet sponsored, who was about her age, to send a package to. We sent the packages to one of the people traveling there in December. Another need was for small toys or games that could be given as rewards for good behavior for the older children. Another was for baby formula. And yet another was for money to help pay the staff year-end bonuses that are required by Haitian law - equal to one month's salary - essentially doubling the payroll for December. And all this during a time when the orphanage is financially strapped already.
Then we heard that the Christmas mission trip to the orphanage is being postponed due to security reasons. Apparently the postponement of trips like this are not all that uncommon occurrences. I don't know all the details, but my limited understanding is that there is expected to be an increase in kidnappings this time of year. One of the reasons might be due to the voodoo practices in Haiti, that require sacrifices(?). That just sounds scary, and as difficult as the decision must have been to postpone, I'm sure the teams are fortunate to have the security official that is not afraid to recommended postponement if there is a greater risk. However, this just makes my heart hurt for the children. I think there is a back-up plan being organized now to get some candy and small toys sent to the orphanage in time for Christmas, and possibly funds for a nice meal for everyone.
If there is any way you can help out, I'm certain that it would be a huge blessing for management, staff, and children of the orphanage. It just doesn't seem right to have such a beautiful, rich Christmas, when there are so many who are hurting and not able to have the same for themselves. It's amazing how much this adoption journey has changed my perspective on things! I'm going to be praying about how I can help raise awareness and/or how I can help. Will you join me?
PS. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to provide financial support. I think back to a spiritual gifts assessment of the different gifts that God created in each of us. When we were active members of the United Methodist Church, one of the committments was to support the church with our prayers, presence, gifts, and service. Not everyone is in a situation to provide their time to serve, not everyone is a prayer warrior, and not everyone is wealthy and able to provide financial support. Beyond that, even if you are blessed in one of these areas, maybe you just don't feel a calling or responsibility towards a certain ministry. That is a good thing - we can't all do the same things in the same places! I just want to put this out there to maybe plant a seed or encourage you. Maybe there is someone who will read this that has been looking for a mission to support, and this is just what they were looking for!
5 comments:
Good post.
You can count on me for prayers! I pray daily for Eli & Josie, anyway, so it will be easy to add all of the other children/workers at the orphanage. :)
Nikki
Thanks, Nikki!
I didnt know you were sending ELi and Josie christmas presents, didnt know you could do that! If you do it again tell me b/c I would like to participate if its ok.
And ps
I'll be praying too :)
Post a Comment