The situation in Haiti has eased some. Apparently Friday and Saturday at the orphanage, the nannies were able to switch out, and the director was able to get truck-water and drinking-water brought in to the orphanage. They didn't run out, but were concerned that if the civil unrest erupted again, that they didn't want to have to dip too low. I don't know how long they can go without replenishing. I think they are being very mindful of the situation, and watching to see what happens now. The nannies are preparing to stay longer this week in case things flare up again and it's not safe for them to travel, and I'm sure they're also watching their water supplies very carefully as well.
I've included below links to a few articles. Apparently the prime minister (second-in-command to President Preval) was ousted by the senate. The president also spoke on Thursday and again on Saturday, lowering the price of rice - a key staple in any Haitian meal. Other countries have pledged $$ and shipments of food, but that has come with mixed reactions, due to the jammed ports presumed to be holding containers of rotting food, and the length of time it takes for either the food or the $$ to make it to the people.
A chronology of recent news:
http://haitisupport.gn.apc.org/fea_news_index.html
(Thanks to Kendra for posting this link - I'm book-marking it!)
Some recent single news articles:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-04-12-haiti-food_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/imf-warns-rising-food-prices-may-spark-more-riots-like-haiti-808649.html
http://www.cnbc.com/id/23954331/for/cnbc
1 comment:
Now if they will just sign all those ibesr folders collecting dust....
Post a Comment