Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Situation in Haiti

Please pray for the situation in Haiti. Here are some references for you to read about what's going on:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24031850/
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/caribbean/sfl-haiti,0,5762688.storygallery (several articles)
http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2008/04/food-prices.html & http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2008/04/thoughts-from-portauprince-resident.html(blog of a US missionary family living in Haiti - the Livesay's)

We've heard from our orphanage, and they are safe there. However, they are concerned for their water supply and for their staff. They depend on big trucks to bring water. I *think* that the pumper trucks come in daily to refill the water tank on the roof that is used for washing, toilets, and bathing. I *think* the drinking water comes every few days, but I'm not sure on those details. The nannies and nurse that are there now have been there for two days straight, as it is not safe for them to come and go right now. I'm sure the nonstop care is waring on everyone after two days straight. The older kids don't have school, as the teachers can't come, but they don't understand what's going on. They are helping the nannies with the babies and toddlers where they can though.

Please pray - this is difficult now and could get much worse if this continues. I don't have any solutions other than to pray - for the violence to end, for the solutions to be found - not just to end the violence and riots, but for a solution to the food crisis. The costs there really put in perspective our inflation recently, and my attitude towards the rising costs of bread, eggs, milk, gasoline, etc...

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

ibesr is closed during this too!!

Anonymous said...

That is terrifying. Has there been any update on the situation since last week? Do you know if the president has spoken yet?
Nikki