We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. We're reminded this time of year how much we have to be thankful for - family, friends, things we take for granted (jobs, food, home, etc.), and much, much more. I pray for those who don't have what we have. I also pray that our two other children that can't be with us yet, that they'll someday enjoy what we enjoy, and that they'll be able to join us soon.
After work on Wednesday night, we traveled to NE Iowa to spend Thanksgiving day with my family. Thursday we had a great time with my dad & step-mom, grandma, step-grandma, younger sister & soon-to-be-brother-in-law, and my older sister & her family. We played games, visited, and ate way too much food!
This morning, Karen & I got up between 3:45 and 4, threw on some clothes, brushed our teeth, and were out the door by 4:15. We met our other sister and two of her friends half-way to Prarie du Chien, WI, and rode the rest of the way to Walmart with them. We got there right about 5 when their sales started. The parking lot was nearly full. The store was busy, but not what I'd call insane. Maybe I was just not awake enough to notice how crazy it was. There were areas (around the TVs) where you could not get through with a cart, but it wasn't too bad. We assumed the really die-hard shoppers went to a city that had more than just a Walmart and a Cabela's, and we heard from some of Amy's sisters-in-law that Waterloo was crazier than they've seen it in many years. Economy? I'm not sure that's really hit Iowa yet...
We shopped at Walmart for almost three hours. We were all starving by the time we finished, so we stopped by the bakery section for cinnamon rolls/donuts before we checked out. I will say that one of the check-out ladies was trying to figure out what kind of vehicle we drove that would fit all the stuff once she realized that all 5 of us were together! :) We nearly filled the truck topper. Karen and I were the light-weights of the group, but contributed some.
Then we went over to Cabela's. I'd never been in there before, and I have to say I'm not a fan. Things are supposedly good quality out-doorsy stuff, but I can find similar things of decent quality for WAY less than that. I probably would have gotten some of those under-armor-type pants for when I walk - they were on sale for $10, but they didn't have my size. I walked out with some lemon drops and gummy worms for the ride home.
We also stopped by a carpet store. One of the gals' basements was completely flooded this summer, and they're nearly done with re-sheetrocking it. We walked in, and started looking at remnants. In the course of looking at sizes/prices, the lady running the store today said she wasn't supposed to, but she'd give her half-off the remant prices! We quickly realized how much of a deal that was, and she put money down on four remnants and vinyl for her bathrooms. Quite the deal - probably the best one of the day! The carpet store lady must have been in the mood for sales today - she was bummed when we told her we'd been to Walmart at 5:00.
I got back to Dad's around 11:00, then talked for a few minues before I took a nap. The morning was so much fun, but exhausting. It felt like it was 2 or 3 in the afternoon already! I went back to bed and kind of dozed for about an hour or so, then came down and had lunch with Dad, Terry, Jock & Kaylen around 1:00. Then it was time for Kaylen's nap (really needed after a couple busy days and late nights), and Jock and I to have some relaxing computer time. I think Dad and Terry are napping too. I think we're going to play games at Amy & Bill's tonight - and that's usually a fairly late night.
Sometime tomorrow we'll head home. Sunday we're both helping with Sunday school classes at church, then heading over to Jock's dad's - probably for more turkey and some Wii. Then it'll be back to our routines: my Sunday night walk (which will be VERY MUCH needed), and back to work for us and school for Kaylen on Monday.
Happy Day-After-Thanksgiving, everyone!
Oh yah - I did all that on no caffiene! (But trust me, if there'd been a Starbucks or a Panera in the town we were shopping in, I'd have begged to stop before hitting Walmart!) I did just pop open a can of cream soda though. (My dad knows me too well.) Mmmmm...
3 comments:
you forgot, 4:31- first sign of life on the way to walmart
wallyworld in cambridge was a zoo, laura and i were there at 4:31. after loosing laura for 1/2 hr, she bought my sheets, we were off across the parking lot to menards and alot nicer people and staff. next time someone says lets do wallmart at 5am, someone just put a pillow over my head. no-way, no-how ever again. menards and target yes. laura's friend did get a laptop at "W" but she was in line at 2am. just nuts. love ya, kathie
wallyworld in cambridge was a zoo, laura and i were there at 4:31. after loosing laura for 1/2 hr, she bought my sheets, we were off across the parking lot to menards and alot nicer people and staff. next time someone says lets do wallmart at 5am, someone just put a pillow over my head. no-way, no-how ever again. menards and target yes. laura's friend did get a laptop at "W" but she was in line at 2am. just nuts. love ya, kathie
Post a Comment