Things have been crazy the last bit, so thought I’d just put some things out here for you to read what’s been going on with us:
All three of us here at home have been battling colds and related illnesses that we’ve passed back and forth for a over a month now. At the end of January, Kaylen had a fever for a day, but we never did figure out why. Then the first week in February Kaylen and I both caught a cold with the lingering cough. Then when we were about over it, Jock caught the cold, which for him ended with a round of antibiotics (as usual, because the other meds he takes reduce his immunity to stuff). Then Kaylen got strep throat. Then my cold came back – mostly just a lost voice (no sore throat), then I may have had a minor sinus infection. Now I think we’re all finally on the mend!
Kaylen had her yearly medical check-up today – and all was healthy for her. I thought it was going to be quick and easy, no shots. Then they reminded me that she needed a booster for one of the 5 or 6 she got last year. Then I remembered that the state is now requiring all public school students to have record of a lead level test. Apparently the state of Iowa generally does them with children between 9-12 months of age, but we don’t have records for Kaylen back that far. So, she got one shot, and one finger prick. It was very traumatic – although she did better than last year. She cried for a bit, but I was able to distract her after a minute. Last year, she cried loud for at least 5 minutes, maybe longer. After it was all over, Kaylen said that maybe when she’s 9 she won’t cry at all. I asked her what about when she’s 7 or even 6-1/2, but no luck on those – and she backtracked to 10.
I had an awesome couple days last weekend with my sisters. They came to shop for clothes to wear to my younger sister’s wedding coming up in May. The younger girls in our family have jobs in the wedding, so they all got dresses that coordinate with the bridesmaids dresses. And my older sister and I will also now be well-dressed, as the big-sister/personal attendants to the bride. We also did some planning for a bridal shower, and enjoyed each others’ company.
Thank you to many of you for praying & fasting with us a few weeks ago. It was a good day for me. I was able to at least gain a peace in knowing that God has our adoption in his hands, and left my burdens with him. Of course, this takes a lot of practice, because I keep taking them back and then leaving them and then taking them back and then leaving them… It’s a tough journey. Ultimately I know His purpose will prevail, and that’s the important thing. There’s a verse in the Bible I read not long ago: "I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief" (Mark 9:24). That verse really hit me that day. I go back and forth so often.
Concerning our adoption, there still has been no changes. We received an update this week - or rather lack there-of. Our files remain in the office they’ve been in since the end of July, and there is no update on Elijah’s or Josephine’s birth parent interviews. We continue to pray for our files to move more swiftly through the process, as well as many others that are in process, those working on the adoption files, and all the children and orphanage staff.
We will be leaving soon for Haiti, so expect the blog drought to continue. Please pray that all goes well on this trip. I can’t wait to see our children again. I, of course, have been somewhat stressed with the amount of things I have to get done between now and then, but am happy with the progress I’m making. I’ve got this weekend to finalize things, including the packing that I have yet to do.
I was, however, disappointed with a large grocery store chain in our state, from which I’d requested donations to take to the orphanage. I’d been told by the store manager & the person that coordinates donations, that they have meetings each Monday and part of those meetings are to go over requests for donations. I worked quickly to get the form filled out, and get a letter from FHG’s director stating what the donations would be used for. I was hopeful that I had put together a good request. I heard nothing. I followed up about a week after I sent it in, and still have heard nothing. Not even a standard response stating that they’ve declined. So, not very happy with that. Ugh! Well, I’ve got a few other options, but my time is extremely limited at this point.
I’ll try to post some recent pictures of various things sometime soon. I have to clear off the camera memory card before we go on the trip. :)
5 comments:
Praying for movement for all of us. Hope you have a good trip. I'm on trip 2. Right now Jasmine is sick and has missed a lot of school. I haven't told her teacher that I'm taking her out for 5 days!
Have a great time on the trip and I am glad that you all are feeling better!
Christina
It's time to get out of parquet! I am praying today...And for everyone stuck in IBESR as well...did you get a dispense letter, I think I remember that You did.
It's been a tough winter for me here. No major illness just colds and tired...I think there is something to be said about Hibernation :-) I'm so much ready for spring that I can smell it. I told brad I'm not leaving the house unless I absolutely have to. And the groceries are getting pretty low...it's too cold out there.
I pray that this trip to Haiti will rejuvinate you and that while you are there, good news will be heard! Yes, Lisa, that is my prayer.Enjoy that tropical weather and maybe by the time you get back, it will be spring!!!
Thanks for all the prayers!
Terry - we did have to go through dispense while we were in IBESR - we think due to our age (despite infertility documentation), and the fact that we have one child in our home - even though she is not bio.
We are getting a touch of spring this week - today, tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be highs in the 50s or maybe even low 60s tomorrow, but then colder again over the weekend. I'm so looking forward to the warmth of Haiti!
Ah so you are the ones who got me sick! I had the flu on monday and tuesday and a bad cold wednesday and thursday and barely have a voice today (friday)
Post a Comment