Our children are in Port-au-Prince, where there is extensive damage. Our ministry's (For His Glory) director spoke with the orphanage director about 20 minutes after the initial quake hit. A nanny/cook was injured when a wall fell on her and the director had an injury to his eye. All the children were OK, although I imagine quite shook up. Since that report, there hasn't been any communication from our orphanage that I'm aware of. I don't know what has gone on there during the aftershocks and overnight.
I'm following things closely, and waiting for more news, which is difficult with communication lines and power - which weren't stable to begin with - are now out. The FHG ministry, which oversees operations and funding for the orphanage is posting updates on their website (www.forhisgloryoutreach.org) as they have any information. The board is organizing response/relief efforts - there is concern for basic needs - clean water, food, medicine, shelter. There are some missionaries in Haiti, even in Port-au-Prince that do still have internet, so I am watching for communication from them as well.
It seems trivial and selfish to be concerned over our adoption process now, but of course it is on my mind as well. Our paperwork sits in a Haitian government office that is likely damaged or collapsed. This tragedy will undoubtedly slow or halt all adoption processes as the government officials work to literally dig out from the rubble and deal with the widespread devastation in the country before they resume normal operations - if normal is even now possible...
But at the forefront is the devastation, loss of life, and basic needs that were already hard to come by in Haiti - in the best of times - and now... Please continue to pray for those in Haiti, those outside Haiti affected, and those working on relief efforts. If you'd like to help, there is a link to donate online on the FHG website. Please consider a donation - large or small - the needs are great.
4 comments:
Praying you get some information for some peace of mind soon. Your children are in our prayers. I can't help but dwell on the plight of our adoption as well. I think it is natural for a mother and father's heart to do so.
We are praying!
Ryan & Tammy Hartmann
Praying for you Lisa and Jock and children. I am so glad to get to catch up with your family. I hope to keep in touch through this blog and facebook. With God's love and peace coming to you from Alaska. Leila Disburg
I can't stop thinking about you guys and your adoption. So thankful that you at least got some sort of word initially that your children were okay. I am planning to go and pray about all of this right now. It's just really on my mind. I'll continue to check in with your blog for updates. Thinking of you today!
Post a Comment