We got some more info about the children, and a short video of Elijah. (Thanks Carrie & Kathy!) I'm going to attempt to post the video clip below. Carrie shared that Elijah is crawling all over the place, and is very active. He also stands and she thinks he'll be walking in no time! That's so encouraging to hear, since in the pictures he seems almost bored - probably just waiting for that time they let him on the floor to explore! He must just be very mesmerized by the shiny cameras. Celena was sleeping and chilling out most of the time, since she's so little, but a physical therapist was working with the babies, getting them on their tummies as well.
Also, the team got measurements for all the babies and toddlers at the orphanage:
Celena - Head 15.25", Weight 10 lbs 12 oz., Length 24", 3-6 mos clothing
Ralph - Head 17", Weight 20 lbs 4 oz, Length 31", 12-18 mos clothing
Compared to US standards (the CDC has growth charts on their website), they are both tall for their age, but have low weights for their age. As you can imagine though, they're both very low on the weight-for-length percentiles. I'm doing some checking on what the differences are in percentiles between the US and Haiti though - I'm sure they're quite a bit different.
Elijah - mostly staring at the camera, but playing with a toy, and jumping just a little bit in the last half of the video:
3 comments:
Aww poor kid... he's thinking "i want my new mommy, daddy, and big sister to play with me!"
Hi Lisa,
Here's my feeble attempt to help you be happy with Elijah & Josephine's sizes. London was 20 lbs. 15 oz., and 31-3/4" at one year (very close to E's measurements!). And at four months, Eden was 13 lbs. 4 oz., and 25". Her weight was in the 40th percentile, and her height was in the 60th. Were these measurements taken very recently, or a few weeks ago? I'm sure Josephine will put on some more weight in the next few months. Do you get specific info about how often/how much they eat each day, what kind of formula they use, etc.? Just curious. Hope that helps put your mind at ease a bit.
And I completely understand what you said in your last post about finding it easier to write your feelings that to speak them. I'm much more comfortable sharing feelings in writing than in person! That's probably why it took all these years for us to have the conversation we had in the car on our way home from the movie back in August. It made me feel much closer to you! ;)
Nikki
Thanks, Nikki - I guess I'm just a worrier! Those measurements were taken in early August, when they were 12 months and 3 months. Also, at that time they'd only been at the orphanage just over 2 months (Elijah) and 1 month (Josephine), and I do know that when Josephine first arrived, they had said she was very weak - so they'll probably only go up from here!
No - no specific info on what formula they're fed - I would assume it's whatever kind(s) they can get for them, and probably varies. I've seen pictures of the nannies feeding the older babies some sort of cereal, so Elijah probably gets that too.
So true about that conversation we had in the car last month - took us a long time to get to that point. We'd have never known that we had so much in common!
Post a Comment