Sunday, March 9, 2008

IBESR Frustration

I promise, I'll write more about our trip to Haiti, but first I need to ask for prayers. We're a little uncertain as to how things are progressing with our adoption. At first we were told that we would not have to get the presidential dispensation letter to get IBESR approval, because we have no biological children, and when we were in Haiti we were told that families with any children - bio or adopted - needed it, and that we were one of those families on the list. This was a shock to me, although our processor was going to be getting a specific list from IBESR (the letter is not from us or the processor, but from IBESR to the president, and apparently just lists all the families). So, we don't really know for sure now if we were on the list or not, and are waiting for clarification. We also know of at least one family in our same situation - no bio kids, one adopted, adopting 3 from another orphanage in Haiti. They entered into IBESR in mid-November (1.5 months after us), and have been out and already in Parquet for a few weeks now. I don't like to compare myself to others, as there are always things that could cause unforseen differences down the road (I'm a statistician - it's not scientific study if there are confounding factors), but it's hard not to compare... It's exciting and gives me hope to hear this. Yet, it is frustrating as well, as it just seems as though there is no rhyme or reason to things. Please pray that things move along quickly for us. Although we know and have seen that Elijah and Josephine are very well taken care of, having met them and fallen even more in love with them makes it seem even more urgent and more real to us the long wait we still have ahead of us. We want so badly for them to be home with us - as soon as possible. I'm weary from the physical work and the emotions of our travels, so maybe that is part of bringing me down. Lord, please give me the strength to press on. Please help me to use my frustrations for your Glory, that I may trust in your perfect timing, and continue to pray constantly for your provision and your will in this process. Please convict the hearts of those who are in charge of moving our paperwork through the offices. Inspire in them a will to move the adoptions along swiftly, so our babies can come to the home that you have called us to provide for them. Amen.

5 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

It's hard because it's so uncertain. We've been in ibesr almost 7 mo and are stuck in dispense. There is no guarantee that any of us with bio children will be approved. We should be well into parquet by now. It is VERY hard leaving them after getting to know them and not knowing when you'll see them again or how much time will pass before they get to come home.

Jodie said...

I wish we all would get good news!

I miss you guys!!!

Beth said...

They may be getting a presidential letter if you've been married less than 10 years (I've heard that anything not meeting the 1974 criteria needs the dispensation). But who really knows? It doesn't seem like the same rules apply to everyone. I'm sorry you're stuck in IBESR, too. :o(

We'll add you to the many families for which we are praying!!

Terry said...

We are in dispense as we have 3 bio and 1 adopted. I'm praying with you. Terry

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I pray every day that Elijah and Josephine will come home to IA healthy, happy, and safe ASAP! You can count on my continued prayers for you, Jock, & Kaylen as you wait as patiently as you can.
Nikki