Saturday, March 29, 2008

Random thoughts for the weekend

RT1: We had a GREAT time visiting with some friends this evening - two other couples who went through our foster parent training class with us. Between our three families, there were two teenagers and 6 children ages 5 and under. It was loads of fun - you wouldn't think that many kids all not used to each other would get along together so well, but we all had a great time! Thanks to David & Annette for hosting!

RT2: In looking at Kaylen's Scholastic book order forms this week, I came across some gems. I love Scholastic (great books for cheap!) - but now it takes an hour each month to go through them all - as we get about 6 different ones, instead of the single one we got when I was in school. Anyway, remember the little old Mr. ___ (insert Grumpy, Clumsy, Cheerful, etc) and Little Miss ___ (insert Chatterbox, Trouble, Fun, etc) books? And how about Amelia Bedelia and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? Those were so fun when I was a kid and learning to read. Well, they're back (or at least stlil around)! I think I'm going to order them just for the nostalgia! (OK - well, for our kids to read too...)

RT3: So it's supposedly spring - at least according to my calendar - but not according to the weather forecasts. I'm so ready for the warm sunny weather, but it seems to be in hiding. One day this week, on my way to work, it went from sprinkles to rain/hail/thunder/lightening to rain/sleet to snow - within a half hour - well, OK, it was probably closer to 50 minutes, because the hail, sleet and snow made the roads slushy and slick, so traffic was slow! YUCK! I was freezing, and whiney (like I am now - sorry!), as the previous days around 50 were much nicer - even though the wind made it not the best weather for sidewalk chalk. And, it's supposed to be rainy and yucky almost every day this coming week. Even though it did melt the next day, I'm sure the geese outside the window at work were wondering if they'd flown too far north on accident with the snow this past week. Which brings me to my next random thought...

RT4: At work the last several years, we've had Canada Geese nesting in our parking lot, so I've learned a bit about them. They are monogomous (mate for life) and they come back to approximately the same location to nest each year. The babies also usually come back close to where they were born, which makes it interesting with the increasing goose population in our area, as they also don't like other geese to nest very close to their nest. There are actually two goose-couples on opposite ends of our parking lot, and if they get too close to each other, there's lots of loud honking and fending for their territory.

This year, since my cubicle is right by the window and the geese are nesting right outside that window, I've learned a bit more about these fascinating creatures. Monday, it appeared that mama goose had 2 eggs in her nest, but she wasn't sitting on it - she covered it up and continued wandering around - although she didn't go far, and she and papa goose still were very protective of their location. Well, I looked them up on the internet one night, and apparently, they lay their eggs about every 1.5 days until they've laid them all (4-8 but usually 5 or 6). Then they start sitting on them (incubating), so that they'll all hatch at approximately the same time.

I think mama goose is done laying her eggs, as she was sitting on her nest most of Friday - and it looked like there were 5 eggs in there. I don't know how long they incubate though - it's always fun to watch the little goslings - if they don't hatch on a weekend. They usually are heading off to one of the local ponds soon after birth, so the babies aren't around long.

Now, you might say that the parking lot isn't the safest place for geese to lay egge - this is true - for the geese AND the people! The building owners came by and put orange cones in the parking space closest to the nest. The other sides are driveway, and most people driving through slow down, and even stop to gawk at the geese. It's been kind of funny watching them honk and try to chase off vehicles, but I think they're getting used to the vehicles driving past, and have realized they can't win. However, if you happen to be a UPS or a King Delivery driver - SLOW DOWN! There's even a speed bump right there, but that doesn't deter them. Those poor geese have so far just been lucky enough to not have been in the way.

RT5: Our taxes are done! Well, I still need Jock to double-check my numbers, before I get them typed up and then double-check for typos, but they should be off to the IRS and the State Dept of Revenue this week. I can't wait for those refunds - and that economy-boosting rebate we'll get from the fed in the next couple months! Maybe we'll be able to go back to Haiti to sign our I-600s. ;)

I'm so excited that the State of Iowa lets you take a deduction for the adoption expenses in the year they were paid, whether or not the adoption is final. Federal won't let you take it (and it's a credit, not a deduction - much better!) until the adoption is final - but you can go back several years of paid expenses, and you can carry some of it forward up to 5 years to use more of it. If you state has income taxes, check into it. For Iowa, it was listed under "Other deductions", and added to our itemized deductions.

Well, that's all for now. Hope you're all having a great weekend!

No comments: