Back Home
On Thursday morning, the woman who stayed in the hotel with us, had to catch the first of her two flights to Colorado around 6:30 am, so she left on the first airport shuttle at 5am. The rest of us got up an hour or two later, ate a nice breakfast, and then headed to the airport. We checked all our luggage – except for our smallest personal bags as carry-ons. We made it through the security checkpoint in a breeze, and then waited (with Starbucks that Jock and Carolyn brought to us) before boarding our flight to Chicago, which was on time. Our flight from Chicago to Des Moines was delayed about 45 minutes (while we were sitting on the tiny plane), but we finally made it back to Des Moines.
We exited the gates and came down the escalators to a small welcoming party – some friends of ours from the area that are also adopting two children from Haiti – from another orphanage, and Brian’s dad there to pick them up. It gave us a little foretaste of a welcoming party we might have when we bring our children home. I’ve heard of many families arriving home to a welcoming party at the airport, and it sounds like a great idea. Our ride didn’t park and come in, but instead had been circling for about an hour. So when we got our bags, we headed for home. It was a strange feeling to be driving again on smooth roads, and to be back home in our huge, empty, quiet house.
We made a few phone calls that evening to let people know we’d made it home. We talked to Kaylen, and she got a bit emotional at talking to us. She did great being away from us, and I’m so grateful to have my sister taking care of her and not having to worry about her. However, I think 12 days of her being away from us was bordering on too long for her. She’d only been away for a single night at a time since she became part of our family – and even that only a few times. We told her we’d come pick her up the next day, and Jock headed off to bed early. We were both exhausted, but I stayed up a bit later and downloaded all our pictures on the laptop. I had filled a 2GB memory card and half of a second 2 GB with one camera, and filled a 512 MB with our second camera, so it took quite a while to download all of that.
Friday morning, we drove up to my sister’s. She was working, so we went to get Kaylen from the babysitter’s house. We spent the afternoon at my sister’s house just enjoying each other and talking about our weeks, and about what we did. My niece and nephew got home from school, and also my dad and step-mom stopped by, and we showed them some of our pictures, and then my sister when she got home from work. We spent the night at my dad’s house and went out for breakfast with him, before stopping by my grandma’s house to share our pictures with her. She was surprised by how much Haiti looks like Guatemala. She and my grandpa spent some time down there during the Iowa winters many years ago. We were still full from breakfast, so we just headed straight home from Grandma’s house.
I was so tired, that I slept the whole way up to NE Iowa Friday morning, and the whole way back to our house Saturday afternoon. Sunday we got up and went to church, and then I took another really long nap Sunday afternoon. Monday it was back to work, but I was still pretty tired all week. The following weekend we were out of town Friday night and all day Saturday for a friend's birthday party, but I slept part of the 2-hour drive Friday night, and most of the way home Saturday night. Sunday I took another long nap in the afternoon, and this week I think I was back to normal – if there is such a thing. This weekend, we’re sticking around home. Today Jock and Kaylen did some cleaning – our house was a disaster from getting no attention the last 6 weeks. I got busy on our taxes! I did see that we will be able to take a deduction for our adoption expenses on our state taxes. The federal taxes have a tax credit, but we’ll have to hold off on that until Elijah & Josephine come home.
5 comments:
Hi Lisa, I finally got a chance to read your detailed account of the trip! Thank you so much for posting it all. I took me a long time to read it but after many interuptions from my son I finally got through! I can't wait until I go to Hait and see Calerbe. Do you remember seeing him?
Blessings, Terry
Are you fully recovered yet? It always takes weeks for me.
Thanks Terry! I can be a little long-winded in my writing sometime, but I wanted to get it all down, right down to the tiniest details I could remember. I do remember seeing Calerbe, becuase, as we were doing handprints and measurements, I remember saying several times that I knew who was adopting them. I'm sorry though - we didn't have much time to spend with each of the children to really get to know them. Do you know what room he's in? I'm thinking he was in baby room 1, but I can't remember for sure.
You should try to go. It was an awesome experience - you'll love it - no matter how hard it is leaving.
Jodie - I think I'm mostly recovered. I never got sick once we got home - just the utter exhaustion. I'm still tired, but not like I was - I think that's just normal for me - and here I am again staying up too late! :)
How about you? I felt so bad for you that night at the restaurant. Did you end up with an ear infection? Yuck! I had one a few years ago as an adult, and then understood why children cry so much when they have them - they're just rotten!
Although... On second thought, I'm not sure I'll ever be FULLY recovered - that trip changed something in me. Saturday night I was at walmart, and had to fight back some emotions walking through the baby section - those cute little Easter outfits... I miss them so much!
Then, my mind wandered to all the needless things in that store - and who really, truly needs it all - yet I do - I buy it - I have my house full of just stuff... Just a completely different perspective on things.
I'm sure our friends and family are getting tired of hearing that from us after 2 1/2 weeks, but it's so true - and I can't just push those thoughts away - and I don't want to, just hard to wrap my mind around what God's doing in my life to change me and use me for His glory, not for my own selfish ambitions... Anyway...
Post a Comment