We made it to the State Fair today. It was a lot of fun today - and a beautiful day for it. It got a little warm later in the day, but much better than nasty the heat and humidity we've had in previous years! Wynonna Judd was pretty good. Wells usually has a concert for their employees. It was supposed to be Leann Rhimes, but she is apparently sick, so Wynonna filled in. Kaylen was pretty good through it - it was a good time to rest after walking around the first couple hours, but by the end she was politely telling us she was "starting to get a little bored."
Next we stopped into the Ag building to see the butter cow, right next to the butter sculpture of Shawn Johnson (by the way, this local girl did awesome today in Beijing!). Although, it didn't look too much like her - guess you had to use your imagination a bit. Didn't get the chance to see the ice sculpture of Lolo Jones. There was too much of a crowd and it was hot in there, so we headed down to see some animals.
Dad - you'd have laughed at us. You'd have never known I grew up on a dairy farm, seeing us take pictures of Kaylen petting a baby calf. She was a little scared though, and didn't want to get too close to his mama - a little different getting close to one that's bigger than you! She also had great fun petting the baby miniature ponies - so cute! I realized after we got home that we forgot to walk through the swine building, so we missed this year's biggest boar - "Freight Train". I heard he broke a record this year. We did see the largest bull though - "Tiny" was 3012 lbs.
We of course made sure to hit The Dairy Barn for some great ice cream cones, and Jock got his annual turkey leg. We had an early lunch before we left home and we'd snacked on Barksdale's cookies and the ice cream, so we didn't have a chance to patronize the beef producers for supper. Maybe next year we'll hit them again.
We only got a few pictures this year, but I haven't had a chance to download them yet. I was too busy tonight watching the Olympics and playing with my new toy - we finally splurged for a Blackberry for me! I think I've now got it somewhat figured out - at least enough to do the minimal functions of checking email, surfing the web, and making/receiving phone calls and text messages. :)
1 comment:
I hope you got pix of the butter sculpture ...
Post a Comment