Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics

I'm conducting a poll - leave a comment with your answer...

What's your opinion of the Olympics:

a. I LOVE the Olympics
b. I like the Olympics
c. Depends on which part - I do like __________ (fill in the blank)
d. Eh (read with a shrug)
e. Please don't make me watch (with a groan and a curled-up lip and rolling eyes)
f. I hate the Olympics
g. What's the Olympics?

By the way, I'm watching the opening ceremony right now. I'm not a history fan, but this is awesome! And the precision! The symbolism! The Beauty!

And a Olympic quiz... On the Olympic flag: a) What do the five rings symbolize? b) What do the 5 colors symbolize? OK now, no cheating - keep yourself honest. We had to look up the answers because we were curious and had forgotten. Don't comment your answers if you had to google it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

c. Depends on which part - I like the opening ceremony, some of the gymnastics, some of the track & field, some of the tickling Kaylen-oh wait-that's not the Olympics, swimming & diving, weightlifting, wrestling (just looked down the list online)

Anonymous said...

g. What's the Olympics?

She thinks she likes them though (especially gymnastics, riding on the horseback, diving, swimming, trampoline, and water pillow--you know, like you're shooting a pillow with water in it) will tell you later in the week.

She's liking the opening ceremonies (but not the grand march part - that's boring her right now). She's liking getting to stay up late. :)

Jodie said...

a. I LOVE the opening ceremonies ... very awed by this one.

I have to say b. for the actual events. But we'll probably watch every night to see what's going on.

It's fun living here in Colorado Springs with the Olympic Training Center.

Eli Bremer, who is competing in the pentathalon toward the end goes to my church (but I don't know him).

Jodie said...

Charis got to stay up late watching Noggin upstairs ... :)

Terry said...

We only saw part of the opening and I was very impressed, so it would be A. for me, at least for the opening cer.

I love China since Evan was born there. We feel very connected...

Evan gives it a g. He went to bed...

kayder1996 said...

You need a e. I watch because someone else in my family watches. Derek really enjoys every part of them. I watch because he wants to watch. (I don't hate it but it's not my favorite.) I did hear something interesting in the opening cermonies last night. At the 1936 Olympics, Haiti and Lichenstein showed up with the exact same flag. (Think about it-at that time when would people from those countries have ever had a reason or a chance to communicate about their flag design?) So shortly thereafter, Lichenstein added a crown to their design. I thought that was kind of funny. Wearing a the ame dress is a fashion faux pas but having the same flag? EEK!

Jodie said...

Speaking of dress ... what was up with Hungary? I'm embarrassed for those women...

Anonymous said...

I missed the opening ceremonies :(
I like watching gymnastics and the diving. However I dont even know what channel it's on. I almost feel ashamed of myself for not having watched it yet..
And I have no idea what the flag means with the rings. In the beginning were there only 5 events? I feel like I should know this...

Anonymous said...

A- love them how-ever, i was on call taking out someones appendix and missed most of the opening ceremony. hope sometime they will repeat the best parts. I think the 5 rings are the 5 major continents and the colors represent at least one color in everybody's flag. Events--swimming, diving, b-ball and of course track and field will be the big sports we tune in for.a girl from MN is triple jumping. love ya, kathie

Anonymous said...

A! I LOVE The Olympics!!!

I thought each of the five rings/colors represented a continent participating? But Kathie's answer about the colors being from all the flags sounds good...

Not a big China fan (at ALL), but those opening ceremonies were beautiful to watch. And I love the Bird's Nest and the Cube (though I've heard that over 1 million Chinese were displaced by the gov't so those building could be built).
Nikki

Lisa said...

My aunt Kathie gets the prize for the answer to the Olympic rings quiz. The 5 rings are for the 5 continents represented (N & S America combined, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia). The 5 colors include at least one color from all participating countries' flags.

Glad so many of you are enjoying the Olympics.

Karen - check out your channel 7! Also MSNBC, CNBC, USA at various times throughout the day.

Nikki - I agree those buildings look awesome. Hadn't heard about the displaced people though.

Jodie - don't remember seeing the Hungarian women's dress - wonder if I can find a picture somewhere...

Thanks all for commenting!