(this somehow remained draft instead of actually posting, so back-dating it to the right time period)
Talking: When we first went to the doctor, Elijah & Josephine had only been home a few days and hadn't been talking much. Elijah would say a few words repeating after Daddy, and we knew they understood some of the Creole we spoke to them. The doc recommended we consult the AEA and get them some services for this. However, since then, as they've become more comfortable, they've opened up quite a bit more. They are talking quite a bit. They both will repeat words after us. We have a few picture books we'll look at - especially the one called "100 First Words", we'll look through and point at things and they'll repeat the words. Also, when we're playing, we'll call out the names of the toys, the colors of the blocks/cars [although I think they just like to say the word yellow (or Lellow as it comes out sometimes) because half the time I say a color, they repeat yellow instead of the color I say], etc, count to 3 or 5, sing the alphabet song, etc. Just as we play - not really working hard at it. I figure the more exposure the better. We have a set of alphabet/number blocks that are 7 different colors, and the toy cars - so I just mention the colors, and they have fun repeating. I also count the blocks to 3 or 5 with them, or sing the alphabet song. The funnest is the animals - Josephine loves to look at dogs/puppies and bark like them. :) They're picking up on English fairly quickly just in conversation - we can tell they're understanding us when we tell them some things - especially when we use gestures, etc. ... The other VERY amusing thing is when they speak to each other. They jabber on and on to each other in Creole. We can pick up a few words here and there, but they totally know what each other are saying. It's so cute! They like to sing too. One day I caught them singing the same song together. Josephine started it and then Elijah joined in. I have no idea what song it was, but it sounded like Allelulia something-or-other. Saturday night when we put Elijah and Josephine to bed, I leaned down to kiss Josephine goodnight. For some reason that night I said, "Good night" and "I love you" in English instead of both English and Creole -- and she repeated me! I was so surprised that I repeated it a few times - I think I was making sure that she was saying it. What an awesome moment! Then today Elijah did the same. After I change his diaper, when I stand him up to pull his pants back up over his diaper, we've gotten into a routine of a kiss (and he definitely reminds me if I forget), and I tell him I love him and then hug him a bit. This afternoon when I did that, he repeated the, "I love you!" Again, I was surprised and so I said it again a couple times and he repeated it again - then went on his way - he was busy playing. Another awesome moment!
Playtime: Elijah and Josephine really like to play! Elijah is into just about everything, but he leans towards toys with wheels. Josephine likes all sorts of things too - but nothing in particular has emerged as favorites yet. Just a few fun stories...
I sorted through one of the toy bins this morning - Josephine LOVED it! Elijah ignored us and played with his cars on the HW floor.
I think we have more toys than we know what to do with. :) They've been playing with plastic dominoes, small toy horses, and match-box cars all week - and just transferring them from one container to the other.
Geotrax Trains a friend gave us - Elijah spent a couple hours one afternoon playing with this set on the hard-wood floor one afternoon. He'd woken up earlier from his nap than Josephine and played without interruption - so fun!
I think by far the boxes and containers (of any sort) are their favorite things, the way they like to be little hoarders. THey'll gather up as much as they can and carry stuff around.
Both kids like to play with the baby-dolls. They feed the babies with bottles or the tea set tuff, and sometimes a baby is being naughty, or other times the "bebe ale machin" (baby go in the car).
Tea set - Josephine thinks they're real though, and will really put them in her mouth. Just so you know if you visit with your kids. :) Elijah is better and just pretend drinks. Josephine puts many things in her mouth though.
No comments:
Post a Comment