So many people have asked us how Elijah and Josephine are doing with eating. They're doing great! They pretty much have eaten what we've fed them, and aren't too picky. They do tend to eat mushed food better than meat or something they have to chew but they're getting better. Hamburger is fine for them, if it's in tiny bits, but I have seen Elijah spit out a bigger chunk like he didn't know what to do with it. We haven't tried other meats yet, except in tiny pieces in a soup or casserole, so I'm not sure how that would go.
They wouldn't drink milk, but that was fine for a while - probably would have just aggrevated their digestive issues they had going on anyway. We did get some sweet acidopholus (sp?) for Josephine, but she wouldn't drink that either. I did try putting chocolate in their milk, and that worked OK, but still not the best. So for now we're not worrying about it too much. They do eat yogurt, so I'll probably just use that for their dairy/calcium for a while.
So far, the only solid food they won't eat is fruit (except bananas). I tried peaches, pears and a single blueberry, and those got spit back out. They've eaten spaghetti, shepherd's pie, bananas, homemade chicken noodle soup, broccoli-cheese soup, potato soup, pizza, bread/biscuits, chips, crackers, cereal, yogurt...
Also, their table manners stink (spitting out food or throwing food on the floor if they they don't want it, chomping, etc), but not surprising at their age, and we're choosing our battles at this point.
4 comments:
One thing our girls do is spit out the skin on grapes. Which I found odd.
You know... all that sounds pretty normal for kids in general! So glad that things are going well!
We used lots of canned refried beans, peanut butter, and tuna fish when Kenson when he first came home due to the "meat' issues. After the first week or so, we always presented what the normal meal was, worked on getting him to try a few bites, even if he spit them out, and then offered a protein source from the above list. As to fruits, try applesauce or mango. You might also try the pureed baby foods which would help get them familiar with more tastes but not have funky textures. And maybe try powdered milk for a while. I think that's what they drink at the orphanage anyway. We didn't have any problems with dairy. Kenson loves milk and cheese.
Just found your blog on 107.1 website. Even though I don't know you, I love reading your blog and will continue to follow as E & J learn all about love and family. I read somewhere that someone told their adopted child that instead of growing in mommy's tummy, they grew in mommy and daddy's hearts. I don't think they could have said it any better. God Bless you all.
Post a Comment