Sunday, March 20, 2011

Farrell's 10-Week Testing

Yesterday was the end of my 10-week Farrell's class. At the end of the 10 weeks, they do another round of testing to see how far you've come. They take a final photo, and compare it to your original. I won't be sharing that here though.

The measurements are redone - this includes arm, chest, waist, hip and thigh. I didn't really lose much in my arms and chest, but I did lose almost 2 inches on my waist an inch in my thigh, and 4 inches from my hips. I'm still wearing the same clothes but I can tell they're a little looser in those places. I also lost 6 pounds and my bodyfat went down almost 3 percentage points over the 10 weeks.

My fitness scores improved greatly. At the beginning, I could only do 15 push-ups and 17 sit-ups in one minute each, and my sit-and-reach was 20.25 inches. Yesterday, my sit-and-reach was 23.25 inches, and I did 62 push-ups and 35 sit-ups in one minute each.

My one-mile run started 12:44, improved to 10:49 at 5 weeks, and yesterday I knocked off almost another minute and ran it in 9:52. I couldn't believe it! I even still had to stop and walk for a 1/2 block since I couldn't breathe very well. I had to get out my inhaler afterwards, and was wheezing much of the day from breathing in the cold 25- to 30-degree air.

Last night, Farrell's hosted a party for those that completed the 10 weeks, plus coaches and instructors. Lance Farrell, as well as the managers for each central Iowa location, were there to present awards for the most improved student at each location. They showed their before and after photos, and how much they'd improved in the testing. The results were amazing to see, and very motivating as well. We also thought it was very amusing seeing people outside of the 5:15 am training. Everyone looks so different dressed up, hair and make-up done, etc. :)

So, where do I go from here? Well, I've signed up to continue doing the kickboxing and resistance training. I'm not where I want to be yet as far as weight and body shape, so I want to continue making progress and not go right back to where I was. I'm taking the weekend off of the nutrition plan, but am going to go right back to it tomorrow.

I'm also going to do the fitness stuff a little bit differently. I'm only going to go to Farrell's 4 days per week instead of 6. The other three days I'm going to train for a 5k that I want to run the first weekend in June. I think I finally have shoes that aren't going to cause me shin splints, and I just might be able to finish the 5k in less than an hour that they have the course open - ha! I definitely don't think I can keep up the 10-minute pace for 3.1 miles, and I may have to stop and walk part of it again. But I should be able to breathe a little better than I did yesterday, because the weather should be warmer in June. :)

No comments: