I mentioned this in the little kids' ABC Summer post a bit, but thought I'd expound upon it.
As I suspected, Kaylen is totally bored by the whole letter-learning stuff. She was trying to make it more complicated by saying things have a letter A in them yesterday when I really only wanted to do words that started with A. I had to shush her a couple times so we didn't confuse Elijah & Josephine with her super-smarts!
I'm not concerned that her reading skills will be kept up this summer. She loves to read, and she's actually a faster reader than I am, thanks to my slow-focusing eyes. I can't keep up with her, so I just check that she's reading books at or near her reading level before she checks them out from the library, which we intend to visit weekly. She's a couple grade levels above her peers, so I just ask her to ask me if she doesn't know what a word means - which she does well. I also ask her what a book was about when she finishes it (if I'm aware that she finished one before she's actually finished three of them). :)
In addition to reading, I found this great website from which I'm printing worksheets for her to work on throughout the summer.
For math, I'm starting with what I remember her learning this past school year, and going to expound in a few places where I think she's ready to move on. For starters, I printed the three-digit addition and subtraction worksheets, some basic fraction worksheets, and some money worksheets. I'm also going to print some basic multiplication worksheets, which her class was just starting on at the end of the school year. Maybe she can get the basic multiplication facts memorized this summer???
We will probably also do some handwriting and spelling assignments. This is an area where she could use some work, and where she typically wouldn't get much practice over the summer. I've got a couple ideas floating around in my head - having her write stories, writing letters to mail to people, and basic cursive handwriting worksheets (they just learned cursive this year but she could use more practice with it).
1 comment:
Lisa,
Sounds like you have it covered.
getting her multip.facts will be a big plus for her!
reading always is good!
God Bless,
Rose Anne
Post a Comment