Monday, May 26, 2008

Another busy weekend...


Saturday we had planned to go to the Des Moines downtown farmer's market with Jock's grandma, mom, and nephews. But, it didn't work out that way - pouring down rain! So instead, we went out for breakfast. It was nice to see Jock's grandma - we couldn't remember when we'd seen her last - probably was before winter, since she doesn't travel in winter, and we didn't either much this year. It was a harsh one!

Sunday we headed to the late service, then out for lunch with some friends. We then came home and Jock and Kaylen had naps. Jock lucked out, as Kaylen wasn't very cooperative, so he got a bit longer of a reprieve before we got started on the project pictured above - around 3:30.

We first had to head to Menards to pick up supplies. Ten bags of mulch and 65 bricks later, we were headed home. Jock started in on the digging and peeling up the sod. I got Kaylen settled in the backyard with her swimsuit on and the sprinkler on, then got busy unloading the van. By then Jock had done the perimeter, so I started setting the bricks in place. I wasn't sure I'd get them all in before the rains came, but I made it despite the rumbles of thunder getting closer and closer. Barely though - we hadn't packed up for more than 15 minutes before the storm hit!

Today it sprinkled a bit this morning, so we lounged around home. It got sunny this afternoon though - just in time for Kaylen to go to her friend's birthday party. Jock started ripping up sod again as I left to get Kaylen. When we got home, Kaylen again headed to the backyard in her swimsuit when we got busy. I worked on packing dirt back around the bricks, and then planting the shrubs while Jock finished packing. We then got the rest of the soil evened out and put down the mulch. What a job - probably about 7-8 hours of work for the both of us. We're very impressed with our progress.

Next up: the sides and back. That's the long-range plan though - and after this weekend, Jock said it's a 10-year plan. Ha - he's got a few berry bushes ordered - should be here this week! :)

3 comments:

kayder1996 said...

Woo woo for Menards! Us midwesterners love a store where you can buy shrubs, plywood, toliet seats, cereal, and shower gel! My Menards job paid for our first apartment and got us through college so I have to say I love the place.
Kayla

Lisa said...

Yup - we like it too. Came out with an enormous bag of salted in-the-shell peanuts for $5 - about the same price of a tiny bag of the same at the ballpark!

Kathy Cassel said...

I am not big on doing yard stuff. And right now we have sandy soil and not even grass is growing!!