We started off the day with Kaylen's T-ball game. Her team's assistant coach got paged and had to go - I think she was an EMT as we saw the ambulance go by just a few minutes later. The coach asked the parents for someone to come help him, and Jock of course jumped up right away to help. Well, that turned out to be a disaster. Kaylen's attention-seeking behaviors kicked in, and she could be heard calling for Daddy, hanging on him, crying because the ball didn't come to her or crying because she couldn't stand in a certain space or right next to Daddy. I don't think she paid attention to much of the game at all, and was so distracting that the rest of the team was a little off as well. One of the other fathers even went out to help as well - as he could probably see that it was much needed.
On the way home we had a little talk about "team" sports, and it not being all about her. Goodness - every once in a while this comes out in her. It also is somewhat of a reality check on our part though. It seems things like this happen sometimes when she hasn't had very much time to spend just with us. This past week has been exceptionally crazy in the evenings with her swimming lessons. She's done a good job with it, but did little else than eat a quick supper, take a nap, rest, then go to swimming lessons between daycare and bed. Maybe we'll have to read a few books or something in between the nap and lessons next week. We'll see. I'd like her to have a better day at her final t-ball game next Saturday.
Jock went north to spend the afternoon with some college friends. Kaylen and I decided to go to the pool after her nap. Her progress report from mid-way through swimming lessons showed she needed to work on a few things: paying attention and putting her whole face in the water. So, off we went to practice and also have a little fun. She went down the big kiddie slide a few times, we worked on her floating, and we went down one of the big curly slides together. It was a lot of fun, and I think she's got the "floating with support for 5 seconds" (both the back and the front) down! She'll probably still need the reminder, but I think I gave her a tip for her to remember - if she holds her arms out straight over her head, her ears should be right by her arms - or vice versa! We might go back today to show Daddy her new tricks!
We actually were only at the pool for about an hour. It started raining, and then they spotted lightening off in the distance and cleared the pool. Kaylen didn't understand why we had to get out, and I told her a little bit about electrocution. The storm was still a ways off in the distance, so we went to the snack counter and shared a candy bar. Well, the storm kept getting closer, and Kaylen was sitting there shivering and crying - she was scared we were going to get electrocuted! (Bad idea sharing about the science, mom!) So we went into the locker room (and I had to explain why it was safer there), then we ended up leaving. Since our fun had ended too soon, we decided to go home, shower, and then go out to eat.
6 comments:
Very cool that you have your very own special cross! -Amy
Way off subject, but do you have any updated pictures of the kids? -Amy
yah - wasn't sure you'd be able to see it the way the colors showed up on the picture. Nobody can borrow this one. :)
No new pix yet. I didn't want to post the May pictures. Supposedly the June ones all been taken, but they've been getting storms in Haiti, so with the weather their internet hasn't been very consistent to send them out. Should have them soon hopefully. Also our friends are there now and have said they'd try to take some for us - but won't have those until late next week - maybe when we see you over the 4th...
The attention seeking behaviors sound familiar! Think I've been through those with more than one child! Always nice and embarrassing in public, especially when other people judge you by them.
Hi! The attention seeking behaviors don't just show up with children who have been adopted, either! I can sympathize for sure! My nephew (age 4) was acting out in a big way over the weekend- he and I are very attached, and he does have a very difficult situation with his parents, long story..but, he was quite difficult with rude behaviors over the weekend, However..those hugs and kisses and I love you still make it all worth it!!! Praying things get better! She is so cute! Oh, and I got sunburnt too over the weekend..=(
Yes - very embarrasing. We've had many people try to give us their opinions on how we could have handled things better. So hard to take that judgement - makes me angry - I'm not out telling others how to take care of their children - nor do they know my child and what works best for our family...
Yes, certainly all kids can exhibit those attention-seeking behaviors. I tend to think they're more prominent in children that have been through losses though - whether that be adoption, foster care, divorces, etc... So many things can really upset the balance in their little minds, and cause lots of uncertainty.
Post a Comment